Boost Your Liver Detox With These Foods
Written by: Brandi Monasco
We live in a society that finds it normal to eat processed foods. Almost no matter where you go, you’ll find some sort of processed food. Those processed foods can wreak some havoc on your body, including harming your liver.
When your liver is overloaded with toxins from processed foods, fatty foods and even environmental pollutants and stress, it can become overworked and not function properly. Because of this, it is extremely important that you make sure that you are eating fresh, organic fruits, vegetables and meat (if meat is part of your diet, of course).
Luckily, there are several foods that you can eat to help cleanse your liver and to get it back to working properly.
1. Grapefruit. Grapefruit is loaded in vitamin C and antioxidants. Both of these are natural and powerful liver cleansers. Grapefruit also contains pectin, which helps to lower your cholesterol; cholesterol is responsible for clogging your liver. Grapefruit also contains compounds that are responsible for boosting the production of liver enzymes that help to flush toxins out of your body. Drinking just a small glass of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice can help activate those enzymes and flush toxins out of your body.
2. Garlic. Garlic is high in allicin and selenium, which are both natural compounds that help in cleansing your liver. It also has compounds that contain sulfur that are responsible for activating your liver enzymes that help to flush toxins out of your body. Garlic also helps in lowering your cholesterol levels. Try adding fresh, raw garlic into your recipes to get more into your daily diet.
3. Leafy Green Vegetables. Green vegetables are high in chlorophylls, which not only give the vegetables their green color, but are also responsible for sucking up environmental toxins from your bloodstream. Since green vegetables are able to suck up heavy metals, pesticides and chemicals, they also offer great protection to your liver. Incorporating more leafy green vegetables will help increase the creation and flow of bile that helps in removing waste from your organs. Try eating more arugula, mustard greens and spinach in your salads and green juices.
4. Green Tea. Green tea contains catechins, which are a type of antioxidant that aid in eliminating fat accumulation in your liver. Catechins also help in promoting proper liver function.
5. Broccoli And Cauliflower. These two vegetables are considered cruciferous vegetables that increase glucosinolate within your body, which are basically organic sulfur compounds. These sulfur compounds with other chemicals in your body such as flavonoids and folate help cleanse your body of free radicals and other toxins. Broccoli and cauliflower are both great as sides for dinner or as an appetizer or snack.
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” -Hippocrates
What are your favorite liver-cleansing foods and recipes? Please share with us in the comments below!
Source, Source, Source
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS