Blood Sugar Balancing Green Juice for Insulin Resistance
Written by: Andreea Fegan
Blood sugar irregularities have become more prevalent as people give into processed sweets and carbohydrates: cakes, bagels, cookies, candy bars, among others. One problem that is especially on the rise is: insulin resistance – the precursor to diabetes.
According to Dr. Weil, “With insulin resistance, the normal amount of insulin secreted is not sufficient to move glucose into the cells – thus the cells are said to be “resistant” to the action of insulin. To compensate, the pancreas secretes insulin in ever-increasing amounts to maintain fairly adequate blood-sugar movement into cells and a normal blood-sugar level.“ However, sometimes even this isn’t enough and the sugar doesn’t get into the cells, but rather is deposited as fat.
Insulin resistance is dangerous for several reasons: 1) the pancreas has to work very hard and eventually becomes fatigued, leading to diabetes and 2) since the cells aren’t fed the nourishment they need, you end up being hungry soon after a full meal (which starts the cycle all over again, often leading to obesity).
We should all be aware of our blood sugar. Our culture is filled with sugar, in the most curious of places (like ketchup, tomato sauce, even soups, etc.) and we could all use a little more of a balanced ride on the blood sugar roller coaster. Additionally, many of us struggle with sugar cravings, which can pose a big problem. And if you happen to have a little muffin top, you are at higher risk for insulin resistance, the precursor to diabetes. Sugar really does affect each of us… in a BIG way!
The good news is that insulin resistance can be reversed and even prevented with lifestyle changes, such as: stress management, abstinence from white carbs/sugars and processed foods, the addition of certain supplements, exercise, etc. And this green juice is just the ticket to get you started with nourishing and supporting your body’s needs.
There are many reasons why the ingredients in this juice have been selected to prevent or alleviate insulin resistance:
- Green apples are lower on the glycemic spectrum than red or yellow, making them a better choice for blood sugar regulation.
- Magnesium is said to be a deficiency in many people with insulin resistance: the dark leafy greens are a great place to find this important nutrient.
- Ginger and Turmeric combat inflammation associated with high blood sugar.
- Lemon is detoxifying to the body, thereby helping all of your systems work better. Sugar is very acidic and contrary to what you may think, lemon is actually alkaline once digested. This, paired with a healthy diet and lifestyle, helps brings your body’s pH into balance.
- Parsley is a great detoxifier and loaded with vitamins and minerals.
- Dandelions are a great support for the liver (fat in the liver is linked to insulin resistance).
- Cucumber and Celery are also very detoxifying and hydrating and are a great base for your juice due to their high water content.
This juice is green with an emphasis on lower carbohydrate veggies. It is purifying, cleansing, nutritious and tasty as well!
For me, making this juice a daily ritual has been a lifesaver. I hope you enjoy the many benefits as well!
For the full article by Dr. Weil, go here.
Blood Sugar Balancer
- 2 cucumbers
- 5-6 stalks celery
- ½ zucchini
- ¼ bunch Kale with stems (my favorite is Lacinato, but any will do)
- ⅓ bunch parsley
- 2-3 leaves of dandelion greens
- 1 lemon
- 1-2 green apples (optional)
- 1 ½ inch knob fresh ginger root
- ½ finger of turmeric
- Wash and prep all ingredients; juice and enjoy!
I like to pour the contents into two 1-quart mason jars, which fills them up about ¾ of the way. I fill the other ¼ with water to help the slower release of the juice into my system. This is optional, of course. Drinking it without diluting it is fine too. This makes enough for two 1-quart servings.
Certified Level 3 Raw Chef, Instructor and Board Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach
at Little Bites of Joy
Andreea is the recent winner of the grand prize, “Hot Raw Chef”, a worldwide video competition, hosted by the Living Light Culinary Institute. Additionally, Andreea is Certified as a Level 3 Raw Chef and Instructor through the Alissa Cohen Program; a Board Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach through the Institute for Integrative Nutrition; and a graduate of Rouxbe's Plant Based Professional Certification. Andreea also specializes in wild edibles, herbalism, homesteading, insulin resistance and detox practices.
As a plant-based chef and educator, Andreea enjoys providing lectures, workshops and classes to encourage people towards healthy living (and thriving). For more info, please visit her website.
Latest posts by Andreea Fegan (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS