Black Beans And Escarole Salad
By Kirsten Cowart
Are you ready to have a wonderful and delicious homemade vegan lunch that is packed full of healthy fiber, protein and vitamins such as C and A?
This awesome and simple salad recipe even comes with it’s own homemade dressing to top it off.
Though this recipe contains many wonderful ingredients, we are going to focus on the two main ingredients, namely the black beans and the escarole lettuce.
Black Beans are an often overlooked superfood that contain phytonutrients. Normally, you look for these benefits in fruit and forget that they are also some of the key ingredients in this awesome little legume.
If you eat 1 cup of cooked black beans, you will receive nearly 15 grams of fiber, which is well over half of the daily recommended value. The special type of fiber in these black beans will help with the cleaning and cancer preventing factors of your large intestine.
With that same serving, you will also get 15 grams of protein, which is almost ⅓ of the daily value (depending on your activity level, you may require much more). This is the equivalent of 2 ounces of meat, such as salmon or chicken. If you have ever wondered how you would keep up on your protein intake while eating a vegan dish, this is the secret right here.
Black beans are a great boost to your health and studies have found that they benefit your digestive tract, blood sugar regulatory system and cardiovascular system.
Escarole is a member of the lettuce family and is a dark leafy green that is an important part of a healthy diet. Even the centers for disease control and prevention suggest that we eat dark leafy green vegetables regularly.
A 1 cup serving of escarole is full of dietary fiber, minerals, vitamins and contains antioxidants. This awesome combination can help prevent many serious diseases.
Here is what else escarole lettuce contains:
- Very high in calcium.
- Very high in dietary fiber.
- Very high in iron.
- Very high in vitamin A.
- Very high in vitamin C.
With all of these wonderful benefits, it is easy to see why making this awesome salad a part of your diet will keep you feeling healthy and satisfied.
Here is how to make this wonderful vegan salad:
Do you have a favorite healthy salad recipe? Let us know your experience with this and others in the comments below.
Black Beans And Escarole Salad
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ¾ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ tbsp chopped chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (found in the international aisle)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 head escarole, washed and trimmed of tough leaves
- 12 ounces fresh or store-bought guacamole (be sure to avoid preservatives)
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic, salt, onion and vinegar. Season with the pepper, then whisk in the oil.
- Place the beans in a large bowl. Pour ¾ of the dressing over them. Add the chipotle and cilantro. Toss, cover and set aside.
- Preheat grill pan over medium heat.
- Toss the escarole with the remaining dressing. Grill for 3 minutes, turning constantly, until just wilted and golden.
- Serve with the beans, guacamole, avocado and lime wedges.
Kirsten Cowart is a writer and researcher that has worked in the spiritual, mental health and medical fields.Kirsten enjoys studying and experiencing the benefits of yoga, meditation, nutrition, herbalism, organic gardening and alternative health.She worked hard in 2014 losing over 40 lbs. and has since maintained a healthy lifestyle.Follow her to learn more about her journey on Twitter, Facebook & Youtube!
Latest posts by Kirsten Campbell (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS