The 5 Benefits of Radishes
Written By Heidi Neilson
I love experimenting with new veggies. While they’re not particularly rare or exotic in my area, I somehow had never really made friends with radishes, until this week. Now, I might be in love. They’re a cool, crisp, and refreshingly spicy snack to just pull out of the fridge and munch on, on warm springtime afternoons. Plus, I’ve learned that they’re saucy little powerhouses of good-for-youness that’s hard to beat!
Here are 5 reasons why radishes rock:
1. They fight cancer. Radishes are part of the cruciferous vegetable family, which contain a cancer-fighting antioxidant called sulforaphane. Sulforaphane studies suggest that it inhibits cancer cell growth, while being toxic to existing cancer cells, and it has shown to be beneficial in combating prostate, breast, colon, and ovarian cancers.
2. They’ll help you keep strong bones and teeth. Radishes are packed with Vitamin-C, which is a key component in maintaining bone and teeth health. A single cup of radishes delivers approximately 30% of your recommended daily intake.
3. They’ll keep your heart happy. Radishes support the heart in a couple different ways. One: their high vitamin C content makes them a powerful antioxidant. Antioxidants protect the body from free radical damage, like that linked to heart disease. Two: they carry a nice little dose of Potassium, which your heart needs to squeeze every single beat of blood, all day long.
4. They’re great kidney cleaners. A natural diuretic and detoxifier, radishes will help your body pull toxins out of your bloodstream and kidneys. Since the kidneys act as a natural filter and can become a collection point for any toxins we consume, it’s important to help the body clean them out.
5. They can help you lose weight. With less than 20 calories in a whole cup, and a whole bunch of healthy fiber, radishes are a great part of a diet that will fill you up, without filling you out! 😉 Here’s a radish juice recipe that will make you tingle with cruciferous love!
Exotic Spice Juice
3 persian cucumbers
3 small radishes with greens attached (or more if you’re a spice lover)
1 golden beet
½ green apple
Juice them all up and prepare your tastebuds to be amazed!
Since I’m new to the radish-love affair, I’d love to have you guys tell me: how do you like to eat/drink them?
Share this with your soon-to-be radish-loving friends, and I’ll see you in the comments!
By Heidi Neilson
Heidi is the founder of Freedom in Motion – a specialty personal-training company in Los Angeles, CA. She uses her degrees in theater and spiritual psychology, along with her team of kick-butt personal trainers, to get people moving more, so they can bring more aliveness to the projects and people they love. She believes the world needs your vitality, so you better bring it! Hear more from Heidi at http://www.freedom-in-motion.com, and on twitter at @Heidi_Neilson and @gentlefitnessLA.
If you’re ready to take the first step, begin your transformation by clicking the transformations below!
Disclaimer: The techniques, strategies, and suggestions expressed here are intended to be used for educational purposes only. The author, Drew Canole, and the associated www.fitlife.tv are not rendering medical advice, nor to diagnose, prescribe, or treat any disease, condition, illness, or injury.
It is imperative that before beginning any nutrition or exercise program you receive full medical clearance from a licensed physician.
Drew Canole and Fitlife.tv claim no responsibility to any person or entity for any liability, loss, or damage caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly as a result of the use, application, or interpretation of the material presented here.
Drew Canole is a rockstar in the world of fitness, nutrition and mindset, with a huge heart for others and doing his part to transform the world, one person at a time.
As the founder and CEO of Fitlife.TV, he is committed to sharing educational, inspirational and entertaining videos and articles about health, fitness, healing and longevity. He is also a best selling author and the founder of Organifi, an organic, incredibly delicious greens powder, chock-full of superfoods to make juicing easy no matter your busy schedule.
Latest posts by Drew Canole (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS