Benefits Of Drinking Almond Milk You Probably Didn’t Know
By Brandi Monasco
It seems that lately many more people are choosing almond milk over regular dairy milk. It could be that they have lactose intolerance, a dairy allergy, or maybe have just realized that drinking dairy milk really isn’t all that great for them.
Either way, almond milk has amazing health benefits and tastes great! In some areas of the country, almond milk might cost a little more than regular dairy milk, but the health benefits that you get from it are totally worth it!
Here are some of the top benefits of drinking almond milk that you won’t get from dairy milk:
1. Keeps Your Bones Strong. Almond milk gives you 30% of the daily recommended consumption of calcium, which is needed to maintain the strength and the health of your teeth and bones. Calcium also aids in clotting blood, squeezing and relaxing your muscles and keeping a normal heartbeat.
2. Maintains Your Blood Pressure. Drinking almond milk can help reduce and maintain blood pressure. The vitamin D in almond milk helps keep your veins in optimal shape to allow blood to flow through them properly. Vitamin D has also been proven to help decrease your risk of Alzheimer’s.
3. Keeps Your Muscles Strong. Almond milk contains riboflavin, which is a form of vitamin B. When riboflavin works with other nutrients found in almond milk, such as iron, it helps your muscles grow and maintains them. Almond milk also contains protein, which helps your muscles as well as your skin and other organs to maintain and repair themselves.
4. Maintains A Strong And Healthy Heart. Almond milk does not contain any cholesterol. Because it lacks cholesterol, it makes it great to drink for maintaining a strong and healthy heart. Studies have found that eating almonds can also reduce your risk of coronary heart disease. Almond milk also provides potassium, which acts as a vasodilator and helps reduce strain and tension on your heart.
5. Improves Your Vision. Almond milk is rich in vitamin A which your body needs for the functioning of your eyes.
6. Strengthens Your Immunity. Since almond milk is loaded with vitamins and nutrients, it helps in maintaining a healthy immune system.
7. Helps Keep Your Skin Healthy. Vitamin E is also found in almond milk. Vitamin E helps in maintaining your skin to keep it healthy. Almond milk also has antioxidants that help repair damaged skin.
Almond milk can be found in pretty much any grocery store as it is becoming more common for people to drink. If you don’t want to purchase a commercial brand of almond milk though, there is a way that you can make it at home!
And there you have it! Your own homemade almond milk! Give this recipe a try and let us know how it goes!
Homemade Almond Milk
- 1 cup of raw, organic almonds
- 2 cups of water, plus a little more for soaking the almonds
- Honey or Stevia to sweeten
- You will also need:
- Measuring cup
- Blender or food processor
- Cheese cloth
- Place the almonds in a bowl and cover them with about an inch of water. You will need to soak them overnight. They will begin to grow plump as they absorb the water. You can leave them on the counter covered with a cloth. However, the longer you let the almonds soak, the creamier the milk will be.
- Drain the almonds from the water and rinse them under cool running water. The almonds should feel squishy if you pinch them.
- Place the almonds in a blender with 2 cups of water. Blend on the highest speed setting for 2 minutes. You might need to pulse the blends a few times so that you can break up the almonds. Blend the almonds until they are broken down into a fine meal and the water is white and opaque.
- Line the strainer with the cheesecloth and place over a measuring cup. Slowly pour the mixture into the strainer.
- Gather the cheesecloth around the meal, close and twist. Squeeze and press with your hands to remove any remaining milk from the meal.
- Taste the almond milk to see if you need to add sweetener. If needed, add honey or Stevia to your liking.
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS