Beat The Garlic Breath And Reap The Benefits
Written by: Liz Perkins
Garlic is a revered plant in our house. Our first child was conceived only after we had finished the garlic harvest. We pulled large bulbs of Rocambole out of the ground and marveled at this beautiful plant that provides so many incredible health benefits – yet, you and I both know that the thought of getting close to someone with garlic breath is quite unappealing.
But don’t get turned away so soon – now that our child is 15, we keep eating tons of raw garlic as a family and we don’t have garlic breath!
The Secret To Combatting Garlic Breath
There are actually a few tricks to keep that potent odor from taking over your mouth. You can pair the garlic (or meal including garlic) up with mint tea, which helps to reduce the sulfur compounds as well as green tea’s polyphenols. Or, before a garlicky meal and again the next morning, drink some lemon juice in water and eat apples to help make your breath smell sweeter.
With these tricks, there is no excuse to pass on the garlic! Let’s take a look at WHY this food – despite its potent odor – should absolutely be kept in your diet.
1. Natural Cold Remedy – Chewing on a slice of garlic every day can help prevent or ward off colds.
2. Helps To Fight Infection – You have probably heard of the Four Thieves Formula, the one that protected the thieves from the Plague. Most formulas contain raw garlic and can be very effective in combating infection.
I don’t recommend this for the faint of heart, but I do know that garlic alone can help with an infection and aids your gut in fighting the infection effectively.
3. Use As A Probiotic – Anytime you are sick and are taking natural antibiotics or prescription strength antibiotics, keep your flora balanced by supplementing with a quality probiotic. Fitlife has a great one, which is loaded with 10 beneficial strains and 50 billion CFU’s (colony forming units) to support a healthy gut and immune system.
4. Helps Prevent Cardiovascular Disease – Garlic is known for lowering the LDL cholesterol and therefore, your risk of cardiovascular disease.
5. Reduces Risk Of Cancer – Garlic is an important part of a vegetable-rich diet and is shown by epidemiological studies to reduce risks of many different kinds of cancers.
When I was a student at the Institute of Integrative Nutrition, we learned that eating garlic, mushrooms and onions everyday was an especially synergistic combination for cancer prevention.
All of these tricks are part of my summer/fall eating plan to reduce summer heat, decrease inflammation and keep your gut healthy. If you are interested in learning more ways to increase your health and prevent cancer with a whole foods diet, please contact me with any questions. Need any ideas for ways to increase your raw garlic consumption? Comment below!
Liz Perkins, MS. is an Integrative Nutrition Cancer Advocate.She is the mom of a leukemia survivor and leads clients through cancer with whole foods, meditations and humor.
Latest posts by Liz Perkins (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS