This Trick To Stop Avocados From Browning Is So Simple, I Kicked Myself
By Kavata Kithome
The Trick To Stop Avocados From Browning Is So Simple You’ll Kick Yourself
I recently fell in love with avocado; this was during my transformation, when I realized how much better everything was with avocado. I went crazy for avocado for a while there, putting it in everything from my morning smoothies to every snack, lunch and dinner.
Aside from all the wonderful gifts that avocado offers like healthy fats, fiber, potassium, vitamin E, folic acid and the B vitamins, avocado for me enhanced every single food I put it in.
My only qualm with it was that it got brown too quickly.
I went looking for ways to extend the ripeness of my avocado and help it keeps its firmness and amazing yellow-green color.
I would leave the pits in, but still after a day my avocado would turn brown. I tried all the different tips out there like using plastic wrap on the surface and using lemon juice, but none of them worked. After a day or two my avocado would still have a brownish green film that I had to scrape off before consuming – YUCK!
But now, I have found a GREAT TRICK to keep avocado and guacamole from turning brown:
Put the avocado halves face down into a ½ – inch pool of water inside an airtight container, close the lid and put it in the fridge. Your avocado will stay green for up to 3 days.
It’s that simple! And it WORKS!
You can also use this trick for after you’ve made your avocado into guacamole:
- Put your guacamole in an airtight container, be sure to pack it tightly and press all air bubbles out.
- Sprinkle ½ inch of lukewarm water over the surface of your guacamole.
- Put the lid on and put it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
***When you are ready to eat, just pour out the water and stir the guacamole to mix in any extra moisture.
I am also going to share my guacamole recipe that I know you will love, just in case you are in need of a delicious new recipe to try.
Do you have a great avocado recipe you would like share? Do you have any sure fire tricks to keep your avocado green and firm? Share in the comments below.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 lime
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- ½ jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- Begin by mashing avocado. I like mine smooth and creamy, so I use a food processor or hand-held mixer for a smooth finish. You can also use a fork or potato masher for a more chunky finish.
- While mashing, add in lime, cilantro and garlic for added flavor.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, mixing thoroughly to ensure everything is combined.
- Serve and enjoy!
Kavata Kithome is an advocate for living your best life, full of health and longevity. While working closely with gym owners and personal trainers, she was able to sculpt a well-rounded view of fitness and understands how to incorporate it with a healthy balanced diet. She is a regular contributor to the One More Step Lifestyle brand.
Latest posts by Kavata Kithome (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS