Avocado Seeds: The Next Superfood
By Angelique Johnson
Avocado is by far one of the most powerful superfoods due to its benefits for the heart, its cancer fighting properties and its natural detoxifying abilities. But this summertime delight might be more beneficial for you than you thought.
It turns out, the avocado seed is one of the most nutritious (and most thrown out) parts of the avocado.
Benefits Of Avocado Seeds
1. According to research, an avocado seed actually contains 70% more antioxidants than the usual edible portions of the fruit. Antioxidants are important in helping prevent cell damage, which, in turn, helps reduce your chances of cancer.
2. When analyzed, avocado seeds were shown to be rich in potassium, an important mineral that helps nerves and muscles communicate. A diet rich in potassium can also help stabilize blood pressure.
3. Inflammation in the body is responsible for numerous diseases such as arthritis, heart disease and even cancer. Avocado seeds contain a high amount of antioxidants such as catechins and procyanidins that can help reduce pain, swelling and stiffness. They can also help reduce the loss of function in the joints and they both have circulatory benefits.
4. Avocado seeds can improve your digestive health. The high amount of antioxidants and fiber can help prevent constipation and boost the immunity. In fact, avocado seeds contain more fiber per ounce than almost any other vegetable.
5. A study from the University of Antioquia in Medellin, Colombia found that avocado seed extract can help kill leukemia cells. The extract causes the leukemia cells to self-destruct, leaving a healthy cell behind. The flavonol in the seed (a potent antioxidant) can also help slow down tumor growth.
6. Avocado seeds are full of fiber, which means they can help reduce cravings as the fiber keeps you fuller for longer. They can also help you regulate your blood glucose levels, which helps you control hunger and resist junk food.
7. Want glowing, radiant skin? Include avocado seed in your diet. The high antioxidant content can help rebuild collagen, repair cells damaged by free radicals and improve the overall look and feel of your skin.
How To Extract The Avocado Seed
The easiest way to eat avocado seed is by adding it to a smoothie!
To get to the seed, slice open the avocado from top to bottom with a knife and make sure to cut all the way around. To extract the seed from the fruit, carefully whack the seed with the knife and twist it away from the flesh. Be careful not to allow the knife to slip along the smooth surface of the skin.
Next, place the avocado seed in a plastic bag and hit it with a hammer to break it apart into smaller pieces or simply hit it with a large butcher knife on a cutting board to split it in half, then chop it into smaller pieces. Add the smaller pieces to your smoothie and enjoy!
Angelique Johnson is a nutritionist from Miami, FL. Through her own journey in weight loss, she discovered her love for health and nutrition and realized she wanted to help others achieve a healthier lifestyle. Angelique has been featured as a nutrition consult on CBS4 Miami News and is a published author on many online health sites. She is passionate about debunking diet rumors and showing her clients how to have a healthy, balanced relationship with food.
Latest posts by Angelique Johnson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS