Ask These Questions To Successfully Clean Out Your Living Space
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
“I seriously don’t know how you are doing that!”
I’ve heard this phrase one too many times over the past few years.
You see, a couple of years ago I decided to sell and donate 95% of “my stuff.”
Not only did I massively declutter my life, I took it a step further and started living out of a small backpack while traveling.
To me, I like to describe it as: Simple. Happy. Focused. Adventurous.
Whether you are looking to simplify your surroundings, or just have a ton of “stuff” you need to deal with, here are 2 simple questions to ask yourself that will help you declutter your life.
|#1. Do I NEED This?
- Exercise your ability to recognize the difference between WANTS vs NEEDS.
- As you evaluate your belongings, continually ask yourself:
- “Is this something I NEED to keep?”
- This question helps build a foundation for future decision making regarding your “things.”
- Acknowledging when you do not NEED something allows you to identify the “things” that can be removed from your life.
- Your true basic needs are simple: food, water, shelter and clothing. However, there are additional items in your life that are either helping you live the best life OR are distracting you from it.
- Go a step further by asking yourself: “What items are positively contributing to my vision of my BEST life?”
- KEEP items that enhance and promote your purpose in life.
- REMOVE items that are simply taking up space in your life.
- After you initially clear the clutter using the framework described above, move on to asking yourself the question below…
|#2. WHY Do I Have This?
- This question helps you dive into your true intentions for keeping each item that is currently in your life.
- Take a walk around your house and ask yourself, “WHY do I own this?” for every item you see and touch.
- TIP: Start with your closet. WHY do you have each item? Is each item serving a true purpose?
- Seeking the benefit in every item you own will help make you realize your intentions as well as help you regulate the clutter in your life.
Use these 2 questions, “Do I NEED this?” and “WHY do I have it?” as your framework as you work through decluttering your life. Not only can these questions be eye opening, they can also help you view your belongings in a much more intentional and purposeful way.
Start TODAY by focusing on one area of your home and using these questions to work through the space.
- TIP: Find a local homeless shelter where you can donate your gently used items. For me, knowing that the items I no longer wanted/needed were going to good use and to benefit someone else made the act of decluttering even more joyous!
Have a TIP to SHARE? Please tell us in the comments below!
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS