Are You Making These Post-Workout Mistakes?
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
Okay… I gotta be real for a second.
Are you the type of person that LOVES the gym? You simply can’t wait to get your workout in?
AWESOME! I envy you.
As for me… I love to be active, especially outdoors, BUT I also love to relax and be cozy in my plush bed.
Can you relate? You can get yourself to the gym and all, but it’s not like you are jumping for joy to do a few sets of burpees (is ANYONE?). Therefore, I like to get in, DO MY THAAANG and get out – no time to spare.
However, what happens AFTER your workout is also incredibly important and can even negatively impact your body and health. It’s necessary to take some time AFTER your workout to take care of yourself so that you can enjoy the benefits from your workout and also properly recover.
Here Are 7 Common Post Workout Mistakes:
|You Don’t Give Yourself Enough Credit
- Make it to the gym? THAT right there is half the battle – you did it!
- Don’t focus on what you have NOT done… instead, give yourself credit for what you HAVE done.
- Keep your eyes on the prize and give yourself a pat on the back as you work towards achieving your health goals.
- It’s all about self love!
|Not Replenishing What You Sweat Out
- You lose nutrients and vitamins when you sweat and your body is working to cool you down.
- Drinking water helps regulate your body temperature and lubricate your joints.
|You Don’t Stretch
- To prevent cramping from a workout, you must warm up and cool down by stretching your body.
- Stretch before and AFTER your workout.
- Listen to your body:
- Protect yourself from pulling a muscle by stretching gently.
- Don’t overstretch!
|You Avoid The Foam Roller
- The benefits of foam rolling include:
- Improved flexibility.
- Increase in blood-flow.
- Loosening up stiff knots in your muscles.
- Using a foam roller before you begin your cool down session stretches and loosens tense muscles.
|Skipping The Cool Down
- An essential part of your post workout routine!
- Your body needs to gradually return to its normal heart rate.
- Focus on the part of your body that you were exercising.
- TRY: 5 minutes on the treadmill at a fast-paced walk or a slight jog.
|You Don’t Eat Anything
- Eating a balanced snack or meal after you workout helps fuel your body and gives you energy.
- Your body may start to eat away at your muscle tissues if you go TOO long without consuming food, which can reduce your definition and tone.
- EAT: Fruits, vegetables and protein
|You Don’t Track Your Progress
- Challenge and push yourself each time you workout!
- Write down which exercises you did, how much weight you used and how long your workout took – aim to improve next time you are in the gym!
- Love to run? Use a pedometer to track your distance and progress.
I’ve definitely been guilty of some of these common mistakes a time or two.
The overall goal of health and wellness is to have a good attitude towards and commitment to progress… not perfection.
If you are making one of these post-workout “mistakes,” find ONE action you can take starting now to improve!
Have any helpful tips you can SHARE that can help others avoid these mistakes? Please COMMENT in the section below!
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS