Are Juice Cleanses REALLY That Healthy?
By Lindsay Sibson
I was in the staff lounge quietly sipping away at the green concoction swirling around in my mason jar when a coworker of mine asked (with a tinge of disgust in her voice), “WHAT IS THAT?”
After I politely wiped off the green mustache that had appeared on my upper lip, I informed the inquisitor that I was in the middle of a 30 Day Juice Cleanse. Thinking this answer would appease her, I kept chugging along, enjoying my delicious green juice and the surge of nutrients and vitamins I was ingesting.
“Huh? WHAT? What is a juice cleanse? Are you just drinking juice for 30 days? How are you still alive? I could NEVER do that! You are crazy. Aren’t you tired? You must be starving! I would totally pass out. I love food TOO much to not eat for 30 days.”
There seemed to be no end as I was bombarded with question after question.
Now, before you start commenting about how CRAZY or bad this is to do, I have one little thought to share. I LOVED IT. I benefited from it. And it is MY BODY and I can do whatever I want to do with it! It made me feel like I could see sounds and break athletic records. Tastes became stronger. Sights became more vivid. I become more ALIVE!
My number one piece of guidance for juice cleansing (as with all things in life) is that YOU are the master of your universe. Do what you want. When you want. And how you want. Feel free to listen to others and educate yourself as much as possible.
Yet, at the end of the day, your body is your temple and you’re the ultimate gatekeeper. Make decisions based on what makes sense to you and what you want.
It made complete sense to me to rid my body of all the crap I had been shoving into it (for me, that was gluten, alcohol, and sugar). I ate healthy 80% of the time… but that 20% was causing digestive problems in the form of cramping, feeling bloated and wanting to nap at any chance possible.
I had completed separate 10 day juice cleanses in the past with great success but felt that if I prolonged the juicing to 30 days, the results would be magnified… and I was RIGHT.
Please note that I am not a doctor, scientist, or a nutritionist. I am an average 31 year old gal that has had her fair share of digestive issues and didn’t want to settle for having to take medicine every day. A little voice inside me told me there was a different and more natural way to resolve my troubles. Therefore, I set out on a quest to learn as much as I could about health and wellness and explore what worked for ME.
The main lesson I learned is this: If something makes you feel GREAT, then keep doing it. If something makes you feel like crap, stop (even if the experts tell you it’s WONDERFUL).
With that said, I am not here to scientifically describe exactly what happens to your insides and if toxins really do come flying out of your body during a cleanse. I’ve never been one for the nitty gritty details. I’m more of a feelings kind of person, so what I WILL do is give you some up close and personal information about what I experienced during the ever so controversial JUICE CLEANSE.
1. NO More Food, Baby! – Green juice is super easy for your body to digest, which gives you a well needed rest from breaking down the food you eat. If you had any prior issues with bloating, you will immediately feel it going away.
2. Day 3: Hang In There – You may just want to lock yourself in a padded cell away from caffeine and sugar. The headache associated with quitting these beasts is NOT pleasant if you’re a regular user. Chug some water. Drink your green juice. Take a bath. And hang in there… brighter days are ahead. Don’t quit!
3. Where’s My Poop? – Pooping is great, isn’t it? You never realize how awesome that release is until your exit point has a traffic jam. If you experience some constipation problems – no worries! It’s totally normal and I got ya covered. Do a salt water flush to get things moving. Simply mix 1-2 tablespoon of pink Himalayan sea salt with 32 oz. slight warm filtered water and chug it down first thing in the morning before eating. Wait by a toilet for a few hours in the privacy of your own home while you “clear the pipes.”
4. Is Water Considered A Meal? – You will get a little hungry – DUH. I was working full time when I was performing the 30 day juice cleanse and would get caught in meetings or have clients stay longer than expected. My solution? DRINK WATER. Do your best to prepare as much juice as possible so your tummy doesn’t go a rumblin’. If you are desperate, chug water and calm down. You will not starve to death.
5. WOW – Okay, I Got This! – Once you get some momentum going, you will start to feel like you have super powers! I wanted to go to the gym every day. I ran sprints. I lifted weights (despite popular recommendations NOT to). And you know what? It felt great! And I’m still living and breathing. Listen to your body and do what makes ya feel good.
6. You’ll Sleep Like A Baby – I’ve never been one to sleep through the night. It would take me time to turn off my crazy mind and get to sleep. Then I would toss and turn several times throughout the night. One of the surprise benefits of the juice cleanse is you will seriously sleep like a ROCK. I went to sleep and woke up in the same position. You will wake up in the morning feeling like the energizer bunny ready to seize the day!
7. High As A Kite – Once you clear your body of all the junk you will feel so much lighter and happier. My anxiety faded away and an overall zen feeling took its place. Weirdly enough, I stopped biting my nails for the first time in my life. I felt like I could take on ANYTHING and conquer the world!
8. GOLD STAR PLEASE! – At the end of a juice cleanse, you will feel like a superhero – YOU DID IT! YOU MADE IT! BRAVO! Definitely be proud of yourself… but make sure you transition into a healthy and natural diet. Here is an easy rule to follow: if the earth grew it – EAT IT. If it came from a factory – DON’T.
There ya have it. If you are a numbers person… I ended up losing 18 pounds in 30 days and I felt like a rockstar. I thought more clearly, moved more energetically and felt uber inspired to conquer my life goals. Overall, my main piece of guidance is to do things that genuinely make you feel good. It is your body, your mind and your health that you are responsible for. You are meant to feel happy, healthy, energetic and alive.
So, whether you are gluten-free, paleo, dairy-free, vegetarian, vegan etc… if it is working for you and you feel AMAZING – stick with it and ROCK your life!
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS