A Naturally Sweetened Valentine’s Day Treat For Two
Written by: Kavata Kithome
Phew! This year is flying by so fast, it feels like only yesterday it was New Year’s day.
Now here we are at Valentine’s Day. I am sure that you are bombarded with sugary treats everywhere you go; in my opinion, Valentine’s Day is one of those times during the year when it is easy to develop a serious candy addiction.
I can think of only two options that can help you resist the temptations of all those red aisles filled with confections: either don’t go to the grocery store at all, or find healthy replacements that you can share with your loved one!
I don’t know about you, but that latter option seems to work best!
This option sparked this amazing dessert that is so healthy and delicious, it feels like you are getting away with being naughty. But before we dive into the recipe, here is why this dessert is great for you:
1. Figs – What’s not to love about figs? They date back to biblical times. They are packed with minerals, vitamins A, B1, B2, calcium, iron, phosphorus, manganese, sodium, potassium, chlorine and fiber. Figs have been found to help control blood pressure.
2. Gelatin – Can help improve gut and digestive health, protect joints, improve sleep quality, lift your mood and enhance cognitive abilities. It can also help improve skin and heart health and help you maintain strong bones.
3. Honey – Honey is so fitting for the occasion. As many of you may know, honey can help prevent cancer and heart disease and can help reduce ulcers. It is antibacterial and antifungal, can help reduce cough and throat irritation and increases athletic performance. Honey is also great for regulating blood sugar.
4. Coconut milk – It is lactose free and is packed with vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6. It is also dense with iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous.
Now that we know why this dessert is simply amazing, let’s learn how to make it:
For this Valentine’s Day, delight your loved one with this dessert, take a picture and share his/her reaction in the comments below! Do you have any Valentine’s Day recipes to share? Leave us a note in the comments.
Coconut Panna Cotta
- First, make the fruit topping: wash, trim and quarter the figs. Cover them with the honey, stir and let them marinate for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
- Add the gelatin and cold water to a small bowl. Stir to dissolve the gelatin, then let it rest for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a 2-quart saucepan, heat the coconut milk, honey and salt. Taste the mixture and adjust it to your taste - more honey, more salt, perhaps a little vanilla extract? Whatever your taste buds desire.
- Bring the coconut milk almost to a boil - steam will rise quickly from the surface and you might see a few bubbles around the edge of the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add the gelatin to the coconut mixture and whisk vigorously.
- Pour the mixture evenly into two glasses, cover and let set in the fridge for at least 4 hours or up to 48 hours in advance. Serve with the honey-soaked figs.
-This post contains affiliate links.
Kavata Kithome is an advocate for living your best life, full of health and longevity. While working closely with gym owners and personal trainers, she was able to sculpt a well-rounded view of fitness and understands how to incorporate it with a healthy balanced diet. She is a regular contributor to the One More Step Lifestyle brand.
Latest posts by Kavata Kithome (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS