9 Surprisingly Easy Steps To Mindful Eating
Written by: Kat Gal
How often do you eat in front of the TV? How about mindlessly snacking during your day? How often do you chew your food properly… consciously? And how often do you swallow huge chunks without chewing or thinking?
How connected are you to your food?
Food is more than just something to put in your mouth to make you feel full – it is nourishment to your body, your mind and your soul. Food connects everything. Food connects you to yourself, to other people and to nature. Eating is a complex process; it is social, emotional, cultural and it is absolutely crucial for our health and well-being. It is a mind-body-soul business.
Yet, so often we rush through our meals without thinking, without feeling thankful and without feeling connected to our food. We are all guilty of it, I am too.
How often do you eat mindfully?
What is mindful eating anyways?
Mindful eating means that you respect your food, you feel connected to your food, you eat real food, you eat whole foods that your body is meant to eat, you make eating regular, you take time to eat and, most importantly, while eating you stay in the present moment.
What does mindful eating look like? Mindful eating is a simple process that can be described in 9 easy steps:
1. Hold it in your hand. Feel your food in your hand. What does it feel like? Is it cold? Maybe hot? Rough or smooth? Light or heavy?
2. Look at it. What colors do you see? How is the light reflecting on it? What does it remind you of?
3. Touch it. Or perhaps stir into it with a spoon. What is the texture like? How about the surface?
4. Smell it. How does it smell? Does it smell strong? How do you feel when smelling it? Bring back any memories?
5. Put it into your mouth. Do NOT swallow just yet. Let it be there. Just take a moment to feel it in your mouth.
6. Taste it. Sweet? Salty? Sour? Bitter? Bland? How does this taste make you feel like? Do you like it?
7. Chew it. Chew it slowly, at least 20 times. It is so important for your digestion.
8. Swallow it. Swallow it, but don’t rush to the next bite just yet. Check in with your body. Follow its route. Then go for the next bite.
9. Observe. As you are eating, keep observing how your body, your mind and your soul react to the food. Feel the connection with your food. Be grateful for the amazing nourishment the Earth has gifted you with. Thank yourself for nourishing your body mindfully.
You see, mindful eating is not difficult, but it does take effort, patience and practice. But I promise you, it’s worth it.
Kat Gál is a holistic health writer who helps health, wellness, and nutrition businesses to market their products and services through quality online content. She is also a freelance writing mentor teaching wanna-be-freelancers how to make a living writing at freelancewriterschool.com. Reach out if you are looking for amazing blog content at email@example.com or katgalwriter.com. Visit freelancewriterschool.com for freelance writing tips. Follow me on Instagram @freelancewriterschool and on Facebook at facebook.com/katgalwriter.
Latest posts by Kat Gal (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS