9 MUST KNOW Health Benefits Of Basil
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
I know the exact moment when I fell in love… with basil.
It was when I first tasted caprese salad – absolutely DIVINE!
Fresh basil, beefsteak tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella, sea salt, freshly ground pepper, with a drizzle of balsamic. My heart swoons just writing these ingredients.
My relationship with basil has since grown to devouring pesto, sprinkling basil leaves in my garden salads and adding it to whatever seems appropriate.
And the best part? Not only is basil incredibly delicious, but it will also boost your health!
Let’s take a look at WHY and HOW this herb is so fantastic for you!
Basil is considered one of the healthiest herbs and contains an impressive amount of nutrients. It is a fragrant plant that is commonly used as a seasoning herb for a variety of foods and is best when it’s FRESH.
Basil is rich in vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, iron and calcium.
For an in-depth nutritional profile of basil, click HERE.
In the meantime, here are the top 9 MUST KNOW health benefits of basil:
1. Stop Stress: Basil has the power to help mellow you out due to its anti-anxiety effects. The phytochemicals found in basil can help lower cortisol levels in your body (a hormone that is released when you are tense). Add 2-3 leaves while your hot tea is brewing to create a stress-stopping beverage.
2. Reduces Inflammation And Swelling: A study revealed that “extracts of O. tenuiflorum (Holy basil) were shown to reduce swelling by up to 73%, 24 hours after treatment.”
3. Zap Your Zits: Get rid of your pimples with basil! The herb’s oil helps fight bacteria that causes pimples in the first place.
4. Pipe Down PMS: Basil is an excellent source of iron, which you lose when you are menstruating. Eating 2 cups of chopped fresh basil provides 10% of your daily iron value! Mix it with your salad during that time of the month to receive a power dose of iron.
5. Rich In Antioxidants: Ocimum basilicum (sweet basil) had more antioxidant activity than standard antioxidants (according to this study). Antioxidants protect and prevent cell damage – keeping your body healthy and functioning optimally!
6. Prevent Diabetes: Basil extracts reduce sugars as well as free radicals in your body. Studies were conducted regarding how basil extracts affect your glycemic index, which concluded that it may have the possibility to inhibit diabetes.
7. Boost Your Cardiovascular Health: Basil is a good source of magnesium, which helps your cardiovascular health by encouraging your muscles and blood vessels to relax. As a result, your blood flow improves and lessens your risk of irregular heart rhythms and heart/blood vessel spasms.
8. Detox Your Body: Basil can help detoxify your liver and give you a good cleaning from the inside out. Make some body-cleansing pesto to get your detox started on a delicious note!
9. Anti-aging Properties: According to research, basil has qualities that help prevent the harmful effects of aging. Holy basil extract was successful at stopping harmful molecules and damage caused by free radicals in the heart, brain and liver.
HOW To Get More Basil In Your Diet
- From making delicious appetizers to yummy soups, fresh basil can be a healthy addition to nearly all of your meals.
- CLICK the following link to learn 10 Great Ways to Use Basil (includes many recipes!).
How will you use BASIL today?
We would love to hear from you, so comment below and then SHARE this article with your friends.
Source: Mercola, Medical News Today
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS