8 Steps To Get Rid Of Belly Bloat
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
Ahhhh… good morning! You wake up, do a little stretch and bounce out of bed feeling toned and trim.
Fast forward to early afternoon and that flat tummy from the morning has all of the sudden doubled and is majorly testing out the strength of the button on your pants. If you’ve ever experienced a similar experience, then you know how uncomfortable it feels to be bloated!
From a tight feeling in your stomach to excessive gas, the symptoms of being bloated can definitely put a damper on feeling healthy and energetic
Here are 8 ways to beat the bloat and start feeling better NOW:
1. Drink WATER: When your body detects that you aren’t drinking enough water, it will do its best to retain, which will make you look and feel bloated. Make sure you are drinking enough water, passing urine 4-7 times per day and you will notice the bloated feeling going away as you properly hydrate your body.
2. Portion Control: Pay attention while you are eating. Eat slowly, chew your food and eat until you are satisfied (not until you are full). And as simple as it sounds, eat when you are physically hungry, not just when you are bored or someone offers you a delicious looking cupcake.
3. Cut Down On Sodium (Salt): When you consume too much salt, it causes your body to cling to water, which leads you to feeling bloated. Stick to eating natural foods such as fruits and vegetables. If you do eat a packaged food, make sure to check the package for the sodium content – and pay attention to how much salt you are eating!
4. Avoid Alcohol: Alcohol is dehydrating and can wreak havoc on your digestive system, which will lead to indigestion and bloating.
5. Relieve Constipation: If you aren’t passing your bowels at least once a day, it can lead to a buildup of waste in your digestive tract. To avoid this, eat a diet high in fiber and make sure you are drinking water to lubricate your system.
6. Ditch The Chewing Gum: Chewing gum frequently will lead to you swallowing excess air. More air in your system will cause you to feel bloated and gaseous.
7. Food Sensitivity Testing: If you experience indigestion, excessive gas and bloating frequently, it would be wise to pay attention to what foods are causing these symptoms. The easiest way to discover if you have food sensitivities or intolerances is to do an elimination diet. Start by eating natural foods (vegetables, fruits, lean meats) and as you add in dairy and grains, take note of how you feel after each meal.
8. Cut Out Carbonated Drinks: Anything with added air bubbles will give you a LOT of gas in your system! When you cut out carbonated beverages (soda, fizzy energy drinks, sparkling water), you will have less gas in your system, which means less bloating in your stomach and you will appear thinner.
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS