7 Foods to Improve Your Libido
By Darlene Mars
Food keeps you sustained, healthy, active, attractive and as studies prove, strong and energized. Foods great for your heart, herbs known for circulation and teas to stimulate your prowess will give you all the drive you need to rev up your lackluster libido.
Foods high in vitamins and phytonutrients are best for getting you in the mood and maintaining stamina. Grains, seeds and nuts also provide you the energy you need for go-time.
Want specifics? Let’s get it on!
FOODS TO GET YOU IN THE MOOD
1. Oatmeal. Oatmeal contains L-arginine, an amino acid that has been touted for everything from increasing growth hormones to relaxing blood vessels and you can count on sustainable energy as its glycemic index (GI) is low too.
Oatmeal is not just for breakfast. Try it for lunch! There are so many recipes for spicy or savory oatmeal. Tip: use steel cut oats; it actually has a lower GI than rolled oats.
Still not convinced? Maybe you’re not a fan of oats. Here are some other arginine enhancers that may help to get you in the mood. Seeds, such as pumpkin and sesame, as well as rice and quinoa, may also do the trick. A handful of walnuts pack a powerful boost of arginine too and are great topped on oats, quinoa or by themselves.
2. Apples. Turns out an apple a day will do more than keep the doctor away. A study of over 700 Italian women raised some eyebrows when the regular apple consumers had an enhanced Female Sexual Function Index, which influenced everything from lubrication to sexual satisfaction.
Keep in mind, apple pie is not what we’re talking about here. Just like sex, your apples are best raw.
3. Beetroot, or beet juice has high amounts of boron, which translates into increased production of sex hormones along with being high in phytonutrients. Check out this video for a couple extra perks!
4. Avocados. Avocados are loaded with phytonutrients, healthy fats, vitamin E and potassium. Side note: Avocados and green apples make for an outstanding salad.
5. Watermelon. This favorite summer snack is also packed with phytonutrients that convert into arginine and, let’s face it, watermelon is simply delicious.
6. Figs. This may surprise you but figs stimulate fertility. Who knew?!
7. Herbs. Saffron, cinnamon chili peppers and ginger enhance performance and circulation.
It’s gettin’ hot in here! Spicy herbs have capsaicin which increases circulation so bring on the heat! Garlic has been used for centuries in India and ginseng in Asia, for their libido enhancing influence.
The best aphrodisiacs may very well be what you are stocking in your own pantry, so experiment with different foods to find what works best for you and bring back your sexy in no time!
Writer and Health Advocate at Harmony House Yoga
Writer and health advocate for over 20 years, Darlene Mars opened Harmony House Yoga in Cooper City, FL in 2001. She is recognized as a yoga teacher and as a bodyworker as well as a host for regular interactive lectures on holistic wellness. She is a personal life coach and mentor as she motivates others toward living their most awakened life.
Trained in raw food prep, Darlene enjoys creating and sharing healthy food, is an avid runner, reader, philosopher, tree hugger and zesty lifer. She resides in Davie, Florida.
Latest posts by Darlene Mars (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS