7 Benefits Of Spending Time Alone
By Steve Fillmore
“There are times when alone is the best place to be.” – Unknown
Do you ever feel like your brain is going in a million different directions all at once? Do you sometimes feel lost, confused, or that you’re lacking direction and passion in your life?
Well, you are not alone.
In our modern day society, we are being pulled in a multitude of directions; yet we spend very little time alone.
When the body and mind are constantly “on,” it affects your overall mental and physical health and overall well being. Constant stress on the body can have some serious implications.
It’s important that you take the time to turn off all distractions and spend some time alone now and again. Take some time to recharge and re-center yourself.
Here are some benefits of spending quality time with the most important person in your life – YOU!
1. Recharge – So often, you try to please everyone around you and you get emotionally drained in the process. You know what it’s like – there’s that one friend that only talks to you when they are having a bad day. Try to distance yourself from the “energy vampires.” This is a good time to reevaluate who your good friends are and let go of those that aren’t on the same mission to live their best life.
2. Stop, Think And Reflect – Life moves at a crazy speed. And in that craziness, you may lose yourself in the chaos of daily life. Take the time to Stop, Think and Reflect. In doing so, you can evaluate whether or not your life is going in the right direction.
3. Be Happy, Be Alive – Time spent with other people often means you making compromises – what you want may not always coincide with others’ wants and desires. You don’t have to please everyone. Do what makes you happy and alive. Want to spend a day at the beach? Do it! Want to treat yourself to a spa day? Go enjoy the spa. You only have one life; enjoy it and stop wasting time pleasing others.
4. Be More Productive – It may be fun spending time with family and friends, but it may be taking time from things that are important to you; hobbies, exercise and unfinished work. Spending alone time can be a great opportunity for you to progress towards your personal goals.
5. Network And Meet New People – If you’ve been feeling a little too lonely, try taking on a new activity or hobby. When you go to a new venue to meet new people, you don’t have the peer pressure that you normally would have if your friends or family were around you. Plus, it’s a lot easier to make social connections without peer pressure.
6. Create Something Beautiful – When you are around a sea of people, you often are lost in a mindless chaos of unproductive energy. Taking time alone, you have the opportunity to create from your ideas. When you’re alone, the only thing that stops you from being creative is you. Losing yourself in your work, you can be sure that you will create something beautiful and meaningful.
7. Save Money – Being alone is a lot cheaper than spending it with others. Sitting alone with yourself on a beach, reading a book, or meditating is free. Can you imagine inviting your friends over to do the same? More than likely they will be bored and want to go out and spend money on some activity. Socializing always comes with a price; being alone is free.
Being alone isn’t too bad. You get the opportunity to not only learn who the “energy vampires” in your life are and save some money, you get the chance to really get to know yourself and what you truly want to pursue in life.
Steve Fillmore is a 2-time cancer THRIVER! His motto in life is: Love, Laugh, Live - Love yourself first; Laugh through all the crazy times; Live for life right now! Through proper diet, exercise and mindfulness, Steve has been able to recreate his body to work with and for him.
For fun, you can find Steve either teaching a Zumba class, or creating websites for clients.
Latest posts by Steve Fillmore (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS