How to Eliminate Dandruff for Good Without Using Toxic Shampoo and Conditioner
White flakes are dreamlike, if the topic of discussion is the winter snow; but when it comes to dandruff, they are a nightmare. Seborrheic dermatitis, commonly known as dandruff, is a scalp condition that is caused due to a number of lifestyle and environmental factors, such as: dry skin, bacterial and fungal growth, stress, pollution and inflammatory skin problems. Though mild bouts of dandruff can be easily tackled by keeping the scalp clean, severe cases are much harder to control. If you fall in the latter category, take a sigh of relief, I’ve got you covered!
Here’s a list of 5 natural ways to relieve scalp irritation so you can say goodbye to those embarrassing white flakes.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar – Did you know, rinsing your hair with a mix of apple cider vinegar with water is an effective solution to treating dandruff, as well as the loss of hair so commonly accompanied with it? Dandruff is caused by the buildup of dirt and dead skin cells, which vinegar helps get rid of. Apple cider vinegar also controls yeast or fungal growth, as the acidity of vinegar changes the pH of the scalp. This creates an unfavorable environment for fungus and yeast to thrive in. It leaves your pores unclogged and your scalp clean. In a cup, mix apple cider vinegar with water in a 1:3 ratio. Mix well and use the solution to deeply massage into your scalp. Wrap your head in a towel for 30 minutes, then wash your hair with a gentle shampoo.
2. Yogurt – Yogurt is one among the long list of your granny’s beauty remedies. And sure enough, it works like magic! It is high in protein and vitamin B5. Protein is essential to improve hair density, texture and sheen. It also helps repel dandruff. The many anti-bacterial properties of yogurt reduce scalp irritation and itchiness. Massage your scalp and hair strands with organic yogurt for 10 minutes. Cover your head with a shower cap and let it stay on for an hour. Finish off the process by rinsing well with a mild shampoo.
3. Lemon – When life gives you lemons, use them to treat dandruff. Lemons contain healing properties that help hinder fungal activity, which causes dandruff. They are an all natural means to keeping your scalp clean and your hair smelling fresh. Introduce lemon as a fixed part of your hair cleansing drill. Before washing your hair, squeeze two lemons and gently massage the juice on your slap. Leave-on for 10 minutes and wash your hair as usual.
4. Peanut Oil – If you have given up on your hair because nothing seems to work for you, peanut oil is definitely worth a shot. Amongst its myriad of health benefits, peanut oil also keeps those itchy flakes at bay due to its antiseptic properties. In addition, it nourishes, thickens and revives damaged locks. You can use the oil independently or in combination with lemon juice and tea tree oil, to massage into your scalp. Leave-on overnight and wash your hair with a gentle shampoo the next morning.
5. Neem – Neem is an Ayurvedic wonder that has countless benefits. One of them being it’s use in the treatment of dandruff. The anti-fungal properties in neem leaves provide effective relief from dandruff and the irritation it causes. Take a handful of neem leaves, wash them well and soak them in water overnight. The next morning, rinse your hair with the same water to reap the benefits.
If you’ve been troubled by dandruff, understand that in most cases, it can be eradicated with proper care and simple lifestyle changes. Protect your hair from the harmful impact of pollution and sun rays by always covering it when you step out. Follow a healthy diet, keep yourself hydrated and minimize your use of chemical shampoos and conditioners, switching to herbal variants instead. Who needs the brutality of chemicals when you can embrace the goodness of nature?
I hope this is helpful. Good luck!
Vineetha Reddy is passionate about nutrition, fitness, health and wellness. She strongly believes that the ingredients you find in your pantry can either be the best medicine, or the worst poison for your body.
Latest posts by Vineetha Reddy (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS