5 Vital Reasons Why Your Body Needs FAT
By Lindsay Sibson
I put butter in my coffee this morning. And coconut oil too.
I had become aware of this technique over a year ago when I was backpacking in Europe and reading healthy articles on the internet. I am always reading, learning and educating myself about all things health and wellness. When I first heard of this technique, I thought it sounded a bit strange. BUT, I always like to keep an open mind and figured I would give it a try when I had the chance.
Upon the first sip I thought “OH – not so bad. Surprisingly rich and decadent. I approve!”
So, I did it again the next day. And the next. And the next. And here I am a week later and I feel a noticeable difference in my energy, satiety (feeling “full”), digestion (I’ve suffered from IBS for years) and figure (goodbye, bloated belly). Honestly… I feel GREAT!
There is SO MUCH information available about what the “right” diet is. However, it is 100% up to you to decide what works for you. Now… it can be rather easy to convince yourself that the pizza, ice cream, beer and chocolate “work for you.” But what I am implying is that it is up to you to choose foods that make you feel energized, satisfied, happy and healthy.
And FAT is one of those foods!
Here are 5 reasons why you need to start incorporating healthy fats into your diet today:
1. Healthy Brain: Your brain is made mostly of fat and cholesterol (and most of the fatty acids in you brain are saturated)! Therefore, when you don’t eat enough saturated fats, your brain suffers, because it does not have the things it needs to function at its best.
2. Strong Immune System: Myristic and lauric acid (the saturated fats found in coconut oil and grass-fed butter) play a vital role in your immune health. Not having enough saturated fatty acids in your white blood cells impedes their ability to fight off viruses, bacteria and other foreign invaders.
3. Healthy Lungs: The airspaces of your lungs need to be coated with a thin layer of something called lung surfactant (a lubricant of sorts). This coating is made 100% from saturated fatty acids. When your body doesn’t receive enough of these fatty acids, it can lead to breathing difficulties.
4. Stronger Bones: In order for calcium to be properly incorporated into your bones, saturated fat is needed! To build better and stronger bones, you need to consume an ample amount of healthy fats.
5. Better Cardiovascular Health: Eating more saturated fat reduces the levels of lipoprotein (which is strongly linked to the risk of heart disease). Therefore, healthy fats play a key role in your cardiovascular health.
Not all sources of fat are one and the same. WHERE you are getting your fats from matters!
Here are 6 great sources of healthy fat:
1. Coconut Oil
3. Olive Oil (And Olives)
4. Grass-fed butter or ghee (clarified butter)
5. Nuts (Almonds, Walnuts, Hazelnuts, Cashews)
6. Fish (Salmon, Tuna, Sardines, Mackerel)
The easiest way to get started incorporating healthy fats into your diet NOW is to start cooking with coconut oil, butter or ghee. Add nuts, avocado or fish to your salads. As that starts to become a norm for you, start including more of these awesome healthy fat foods into your diet and see how your health begins to transform and improve!
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS