5 Tips to Break the Rules Without Guilt… and Still Lose Weight!
By Shawn Bonsack
I’m sure you’ve already proclaimed to your friends and family your New Years resolutions and for many of you, one of your resolutions is likely to lose weight. This probably isn’t necessarily a “new” resolution, but for some reason, you make this same resolution year after year, yet you’re not happy or satisfied.
Let this year be the year that you break all the rules and still lose weight!
Before you laugh and tell me I’m crazy, hear me out. I’m going to fill you in on what worked for me and it very well could work for you too!
Now, we all have our own stories and our own backgrounds and yours is likely different than mine. I didn’t start my journey to health and wellness to lose weight, I started it to get healthy and to feel good about myself, from the inside, out. I took chances and educated myself. I refused to follow a strict, depriving meal plan, or follow any set rules. I thought outside of the box and guess what? It worked!
5 Tips To Lose Weight and Still Enjoy Your Life (and food)
1. Get rid of your scale. Just do it! Get up right now and hide it, give it to your neighbor, or drop it off at the Salvation Army. What’s a number anyway? That number will rule your life and make you miserable if you let it. That number is your entire weight – muscles, bones, water, organs, fat, etc. Between you and I, I have NO CLUE how much I weigh right now. When I stopped focusing on that (insignificant) number, I became a much happier – and healthier – human-being. That number means nothing to me anymore! Your relationship between your scale and your worth should have nothing to do with one another. So break-up with your scale for good… I promise you’ll be perfectly okay.
2. Don’t throw away your magic skinny jeans. You know what jeans I’m talking about. Your perfect jeans that are your ‘perfect’ size that make you feel sexy and unstoppable! Get them out of your closet, dust them off and put them somewhere in your room so you can see them every day. These jeans are going to be how you measure your progress. Nothing feels better than when your jeans start to fit again. And for the record, a number on a scale will ever be able to do that! Once you start your journey towards optimal health and weight-loss, put these jeans on once a month. They will get looser and looser and your motivation will be at an all-time high!
3. Get Moving. I was a gym rat for years and hated every minute of it. If you hate the exercise you are choosing, you aren’t going to stick to it and you certainly aren’t going to make it part of your life. As soon as I recognized this, I started taking risks and chances until my heart finally found what it’s been craving. You name it, I think I tried it! Zumba, Pilates, Group Exercise Classes, Crossfit… not for me! If I never tried all of these things, I wouldn’t be a triathlete today. I will sacrifice anything for my bike, my run and my swim. They have become a huge part of my life! Once you find what you are passionate about doing, you won’t want to look back, which is the goal. And don’t be discouraged if this take some time. Enjoy the process of elimination until it just clicks. And the weight loss? The health gained? Those will just an added and well-deserved bonus!
4. Add to your diet, don’t take anything away. Right now, I want you to just focus on healthy additions to your daily diet. What can you add? More water? Healthy leafy greens? Fresh, non-processed ingredients? When you go grocery shopping, do you spend more time shopping in the inside aisles than you do in the outside aisles? I’m not asking you to stop eating or drinking anything right now. All I want you to do is to start adding in healthier options. The more you add, the less room you will have for unhealthy options. My health coach friends call this “crowding in”. This helps to create more authentic, seem-less lifestyle upgrades. You will love the way your body feels when it’s flooded with nutrients, which will help motivate you towards staying the course to reach your goals.
5. Get out of your comfort zone. This one takes courage, but it’s truly the most important and will set your life on fire! This is a game changer, friends! Change up your fitness routine. What have you been wanting to try? Yoga? Swimming? Crossfit? What are you waiting for? Make the decision RIGHT NOW and commit to trying something new. I have found that what you are avoiding with the most resistance is probably the one thing you need the most. Our bodies need to be shocked every once in a while and if you are doing the same routine over and over and not getting results – which is the definition of insanity, by the way – it’s time to change it up! TAKE A CHANCE! Feel alive and be inspired. You never know who you will inspire during the process (yourself included).
San Diego native, Shawn Bonsack - “Shawnie Sunshine” - has spent most of her life wanting to help and inspire others. After graduating from Sonoma State University, she held various positions in sales and marketing, with a focus in the health and wellness industry. She is currently an Insurance Account Executive/Manager in Del Mar, CA. Her journey to health and wellness started in 2010 after reading the book Skinny B*tch, but her journey to discover her ultimate passion started in 2012 when she ran her first 5K. She is now a proud triathlete, cyclist, runner and yogi. She's a Women's Team Ambassador for Breakaway Training, Premier Multi Sport Team and volunteers her time to various different local health and children’s charities. She’s looking to add more stamps to her passport, loves animals and deems herself the ultimate life enthusiast.
Latest posts by Shawn Bosnack (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS