5 Shocking Facts About Obesity
Written by: Steve Fillmore
Weight has been a serious health concern for decades. But in recent years, obesity has reached epidemic proportions. This has led to an increase in health problems such as diabetes and heart disease and has also exacerbated the prevalence of eating disorders. Here are 5 facts about weight and its related issues that should not be ignored.
1. Obesity in adults has more than doubled since the early 1960s. In 1962, only 13.4% of adults in the United States were obese.
2. Tendency toward obesity varies significantly by racial or ethnic group. Asian Americans are least likely to be obese, with a rate of 11.6%. They are followed by whites (34.3%), Hispanics (39.1%), American Indians and Alaska natives (39.9%), Hawaiian natives and Pacific Islanders (43.5%) and blacks (49.5%).
3. Eating disorders often start in the teenage years. 2.7% of 13 to 18 year olds have an eating disorder.
4. The majority of those trying to lose weight were using safe methods such as cutting down on sugary foods (86%), eating smaller portions (85%), consuming low calorie, reduced sugar or sugar-free foods and beverages (78%) and exercising (73% in combination with calorie reduction and 64% without).
5. Successful weight loss requires a long-term commitment. According to a 1996 study, 95% of all dieters regain the weight they lost within five years.
Losing weight may not be easy, but the health benefits make it well worth the effort. But crash dieting and other unhealthy tactics are not the answer. For long-term, healthy weight loss, the key is to make fundamental lifestyle changes.
Some of the healthy lifestyle choices you can make today include:
1. Drink Lemon Water – Lemon water has been shown to aid in weight management.
2. Eat Food From Another Culture – Eating asian-inspired foods is easy and also easy to prepare. Just watch the sauces. Here are six asian foods to help with weight management.
3. Portion Control – When eating out or preparing meals at home be sure to portion your food to be no larger than the size of your fist.
4. Exercise Daily – Taking 60 minute walks can help with weight management. But don’t worry if 60 minutes doesn’t work for you right now. Start with where you are at and work your way up, even if that means 10 minutes a day. Every little bit counts.
Maintaining a healthy weight takes a commitment from you. This is a lifestyle, not a fly by night diet.
Decide today that you are worth the time it takes to truly transform – because you are!
If you have children, teach your kids at an early age on how to live a healthy lifestyle.
Green Machine Burn Smoothie
- 8oz unsweetened almond milk
- ½ tsp premium green tea powder
- 1 handful spinach
- 1 scoop high quality protein powder (free of fillers and added sugars)
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 scoop Organifi Green Juice
- Throw ingredients in blender and enjoy.
- Have this as a meal replacement during the day. It’s simple and full of nutrients!
Photo source: http://www.chicagonow.com/new-abides/2013/08/mean-green-juice-recipe-the-taste-test/
Steve Fillmore is a 2-time cancer THRIVER! His motto in life is: Love, Laugh, Live - Love yourself first; Laugh through all the crazy times; Live for life right now! Through proper diet, exercise and mindfulness, Steve has been able to recreate his body to work with and for him.
For fun, you can find Steve either teaching a Zumba class, or creating websites for clients.
Latest posts by Steve Fillmore (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS