5 Shocking Essential Oil Truths Nobody Talks About
By Kavata Kithome
I first used essential oils after I got my braces. The pain I felt when the braces were installed was unbearable, so in effort to find a natural way to help soothe the pain, I found clove oil; just dabbing a little on my gums and teeth made the all the difference in the world! This experience really got me fascinated by the wonders of using essential oils as powerful home remedies.
What are essential oils and how do they work?
Essential oils are chemical and aroma extracts from specific plants such as lavender, frankincense and peppermint. Each extract holds a super concentrated version of the plant’s aromatic, medicinal and chemical properties. These properties are then absorbed by the body and used to help with certain common or uncommon ailments.
5 Shocking Essential Oil Truths
You now know that essential oils can help with a number of things health-wise, but do you know just how deep their effects can really go?
Here are some truths about essential oils you may never have realized…
1. Essential Oils Can Stop “Superbugs”
Essential oils could be an inexpensive and very effective alternative to antibiotics and potentially used to combat drug-resistant hospital superbugs.
Studies in the Technological Educational Institute of Ionians Islands done by Professor Yiannis Samaras and Dr. Effimia Eriotou in Greece found that thyme and cinnamon extracts were extremely effective in eliminating Staphylococcus bacteria. Thyme almost entirely eliminated the bacteria in 60 minutes.
Professor Samaras believes that essential oils are a great option for antibiotic-resistant strains and that the decrease in the usage of antibiotics will help minimize the risk of new strains of antibiotic resistant micro-organisms emerging. I personally think that’s incredible.
2. Essential Oils Are Therapeutic At A Cellular Level
Essential oils can treat disease at a cellular level; this is because they can pass through the cell wall. Antibiotics can only treat bacterial infections on the surface of the cell, giving essential oils an effective edge when it comes to helping with combating disease.
3. Essential Oils Can Be Absorbed In 3 Different Ways
According to Healing-Scents, there are 3 main ways the body can absorb essential oils:
- Inhalation through the lungs
- Dermally through the skin
- Orally through the stomach
**Note: it is important to remember that these absorption methods may not be safe for every essential oil.
4. Essential Oils Erase Misinformation In Your Cells
Essential oils have been found to “delete” bad information with the help of sesquiterpenes and restore the correct information with the help of monoterpenes in the DNA of the cell. This is another advantage to essential oils being able to pass through the cell wall.
5. Essential Oils Can Change The Biochemistry Of The Nervous System
A Japanese study found that inhaling essential oils can modulate your sympathetic nervous system activity. Some oils were found to be stimulating while others were found to be calming.
Some examples are (according to Dr. Mercola):
Black pepper, fennel and grapefruit oil caused a 1.5-to 2.5-fold increase in sympathetic nervous system activity (as measured by an increase in systolic blood pressure).
- Rose and patchouli oil resulted in a 40 percent decrease in sympathetic nervous system activity.
- Other oils have been shown to measurably decrease stress hormones—inhaling lavender and rosemary were shown to reduce cortisol levels.
Some notes to keep in my mind when purchasing essential oils:
- Know that essential oils are not the same as synthetic fragrance oils, which in most cases are not safe to use on your skin.
- Remember – pure essential oils are always natural.
- Many essential oils need to be diluted with a “carrier oil” such as coconut oil that serves as a base where a few drops of essential oils can be added to calm the potency of the oil and increase absorbability.
- Always use carrier oils when using essential oils on babies and children as they have more sensitive skin.
- Lastly, many essential oils on the market are not 100% pure and/or therapeutic and may have potentially toxic extenders. Be sure to do your research!
And there you have it! Do you have any favorite essential oils that you just couldn’t imagine your life without? Feel free to share with us in the comments below!
Kavata Kithome is an advocate for living your best life, full of health and longevity. While working closely with gym owners and personal trainers, she was able to sculpt a well-rounded view of fitness and understands how to incorporate it with a healthy balanced diet. She is a regular contributor to the One More Step Lifestyle brand.
Latest posts by Kavata Kithome (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS