5 Reasons Why You Still Have Digestive Issues
By Lindsay Sibson
I was afraid to fall asleep.
I’m well beyond thinking there are monsters under my bed. However, I think those monsters have found their way into my digestive system in the form of GAS.
I had recently started dating my boyfriend and there I was… laying next to him… looking at his handsome face as he quietly slept… and hoping and praying I wouldn’t fart.
We were in Sicily, Italy and had eaten a delicious pizza dinner (a special “treat” for me). I enjoyed EVERY bite, but I was not enjoying the gas bubbles that were now dancing around in my intestines.
For years I have struggled with IBS and let me tell you – the STRUGGLE IS REAL. I’ve experimented, eliminated, adjusted and changed ALL aspects of my diet in hopes of finding a good balance. While I am successful most of the time, sometimes I still find myself feeling like an overinflated balloon.
If you can relate, keep reading to learn how to combat your digestive issues once and for all!
Here are 5 reasons why you still have digestive issues:
1. You Lack Food Focus – If you find yourself watching T.V., working on your laptop, chatting on the phone, or engaging in ANY other activity while eating, your lack of focus is disrupting your digestion!
When you are distracted while eating, it becomes easy to eat too quickly and not chew your food thoroughly and it also impairs your ability to digest food.
HOW to improve: Pay close attention to what you are eating – be mindful and enjoy your food! As a result, your body will fully digest the food and absorb the nutrients, leaving you satisfied and energized.
2. You Still Eat Fake Food – Processed, commercially made and packaged foods are often full of preservatives, chemicals and additives that will cause your digestive system to become overloaded. This can lead to having an upset stomach, indigestion, constipation, diarrhea and heartburn.
HOW to improve: Focus on eating fresh, real and whole foods that are naturally dairy and gluten-free (think fruit, veggies, lean proteins, beans – items that can be found in nature). Your body is designed to process natural foods – not factory-made fake food-like items!
3. You Are A Mess Of Stress – Being stressed out sucks. Not only does it make your mind go bonkers, but it also majorly disturbs your digestion. Stress triggers the “fight or flight” response, which halts your digestion.
HOW To Improve: Commit to regular activities that help you de-stress such as exercising, reading, breathing exercises, or meditation.
4. You Need More Good Gut Bacteria – Your gut is thriving with bacteria – over 100 trillion bacteria! Experiencing digestive issues could be a sign that your gut is imbalanced, meaning that there are more “bad” bacteria than “good.” Processed foods, stress, medications and antibiotics can contribute to your gut becoming imbalanced.
HOW To Improve: Reset your gut with “good” bacteria by taking a quality probiotic such as Biotic Balance. Also eat a daily dose of fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kefir, kombucha and kimchi (my personal favorite!).
5. You Are Combining Foods Improperly – Different enzymes are used to break down and digest your food, depending on WHAT you eat. When you eat too many varying foods at once, your body becomes overwhelmed and has difficulty processing food. This leads to bloating and gas.
HOW To Improve: Follow these guidelines when eating:
- Eat proteins first – They need A LOT of stomach acid to digest
- Eat proteins with non-starchy vegetables
- Avoid eating protein and starches together – they digest better when eaten separately
- Eat food on an empty stomach to avoid gas and bloating (a result of the fruit fermenting in your stomach)
Above all, PAY ATTENTION to how your body reacts to food. You are a one-of-a-kind person with a one-of-a-kind digestive system. Keep a food journal to track what you eat and how you feel after each meal to help you pinpoint WHAT is causing your digestive issues.
Know someone who struggles with IBS or digestive issues? Share this article with them NOW and help them improve their health!
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS