5 Natural Ways To Relieve Congestion FAST
By Lindsay Sibson
“Don’t come too close.”
My mom said this to me the other day as I walked into the living room.
It wasn’t that my mom’s love for me had faded… the reason she wanted me to steer clear of her was because she had a nasty cold.
Being sick is just. plain. AWFUL.
The headaches. The congestion. Feeling like you will never EVER be able to get out of bed.
Tossing back cold medicine may help, but the side effects of using these products can be downright scary. Improper use of medication can cause serious harm, such as brain damage and seizures.
There is NO question that you need relief… and you need it FAST!
Instead of reaching for the medicine, try these 5 natural ways to relieve congestion to start feeling better NOW:
1. Use A Humidifier:
- Breathing in moist air soothes irritated tissue and swollen blood vessels in your nose and sinuses.
- Easily increases the humidity in your room.
- Converts water to moisture that slowly fills the air.
- Humidifiers help thin the mucus in your sinuses, which empties the fluids in your nose and returns your breathing to normal.
- Breathing in humid air relieves the inflammation and irritation that caused your congestion.
2. Take A HOT Shower:
- The steam from a shower helps to thin out the mucus in your nose and sinuses and reduces inflammation.
- May only work temporarily, so combine with other methods.
- Alternative: breathe in steam from the sink or hot water pot.
- Turn on the hot water or boil water.
- Place a towel over your head and the sink/pot.
- Allow the steam to build and take in deep breaths.
- Use caution: do not burn your face with the hot water or steam.
3. Use A Natural Homemade Saline Spray:
- Helps hydrate your sinuses.
- Increases the moisture in your nasal passages.
- The spray helps thin the mucus in your nasal passages, which helps empty fluids and decreases the inflammation of your blood vessels.
Drink HOT liquids:
- Relieves congestion and soothes the inflamed lining of your nose and throat.
- If you’re so congested you can’t sleep at night, try a hot toddy, an age-old remedy.
- Make a cup of hot herbal tea.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey and one small shot of whiskey or bourbon if you wish (adults only!).
- Limit yourself to one.Too much alcohol inflames the membranes in your nose and throat.
Use Warm Compresses On Your Face:
- Sitting with a warm, wet towel on your face relieves congestion discomfort and opens your nasal passages.
If you are really desperate, turn to some spicy foods! My favorite is to put sriracha in some soup. The spiciness immediately helps break up the mucus, which I can then blow out through my nose.
Do you have a special remedy you use when you are all stuffy? Please SHARE by commenting below.
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS