5 Minutes and 5 Dollars to a Happier Healthier YOU
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
When I think back to a few years ago, I was living in sunny Southern California, I had a respectable job, I lived in a comfortable house near the beach, I drove a reliable car and I was surrounded by a lot of “stuff.” Life was okay. I felt okay. My job was okay. My health was okay. I should have been happy… right?
Yet, I was far from it.
I felt un-amused by the life I had created for myself. Yet, I felt like I had worked so hard to get to where I was, which meant I was then stuck with it.
I had studied hard to achieve my Masters in Business. I built up my career and had a nice resume for a 20-something professional. I had moved my life from Philadelphia to Southern California. I had put in the time and effort to make new friends. There was NO WAY I could just walk away from it all, was there?
The truth is, I wasn’t okay with just being “okay.”
So I decided to do something about it.
I didn’t really have a plan, but what I did have was a desire to live a more authentic, fulfilling and happier life. I desired to live a life of adventure. I dreamed of traveling the world. I wanted to connect with people and create change.
And that is precisely what I am doing NOW.
A string of decisions, changes and taking action have now brought me to the mountains of Tuscany where I am currently volunteering. I’ve been traveling in Europe for thirteen months and am on an amazing journey of creating my dream life. It’s nuts at times. Scary at times. Funny at times. And just downright strange at times. But it feels right to me…
It feels right because I’ve created it each step of the way and it is 100% authentic to who I am and what I want.
I was reflecting on what I have learned throughout this past year and often find myself thinking about what I would have told myself a few years ago knowing what I know now.
I thought I never had enough time to pursue my goals and dreams. I also thought I didn’t have enough money to create my dream life. I failed to truly realize how capable I always was of taking the next step forward. I would let fear stop me and if it wasn’t fear I felt like I couldn’t do ENOUGH to actually make significant progress.
Now, I realize that just ONE step, no matter how small, will create the momentum you need to continue on your path to creating your dream life.
If All You Have Is 5 Minutes:
1. BREATHE: So simple yet so profound. Stop what you are doing and pay attention to your breath. Breathe in deeply and out slowly. For energy, hold your breath for as long as you can – the jolt will wake you up! To calm your mind, breathe in 4 counts, hold your breath 7 counts and breathe out 8 counts. This method helps to slow your heart and prepare you for rest.
2. Move Your Body: It is possible to get some quick exercise! Stretch, squat, bend… use your body and muscles. It will get your blood pumping and boost your energy. Here is a 5 minute circuit you can do anywhere:
- Planks: 30 seconds center, 30 seconds left side, 30 seconds right side
- Squat: 25 reps
- Jumping Jacks: 1 minute
- Push Ups: 25 (regular, knees, or wall)
- Lunges: 15 each leg
3. Educate Yourself: We are so blessed to live in the information age! Google and Youtube are quick and easy ways to find great resources. Read an article or watch a video about a skill or subject you want to learn about. Feed your mind inspirational and educational material.
4. Nourishment: Take 5 minutes to sit quietly and enjoy a healthy snack (vegetables & hummus, fresh fruit, nuts, etc…)
5. Drink Water In The Sunshine: Hydration is so vital in feeling healthy and energetic. Grab a glass of water and sit in the bright sun. Take a moment to simply BE – and think of all you have to be grateful for in your life.
If All You Have Is 5 Dollars:
1. Piggy Bank: Save it. EVERY little bit helps when working towards a financial goal or your dream life.
2. Invite Someone To Coffee: Connecting with another human being and having a meaningful conversation can contribute greatly to feeling inspired and connected to the world. Ask a friend or reach out to someone new and invite them for coffee.
3. Give It To Someone In Need/Donate: Pay it forward. This simple act will leave your heart filled with such joy. What you put out in this world is what comes to you in return. Even if you only have a little to give… it can make a BIG difference to someone else.
4. Buy A Fresh Juice: Your body will thank you for the nourishment!
5. Journal: The simple act of writing down your thoughts, dreams and goals will help you physically create a story and vision for what you are aiming to achieve in your life. Purchase yourself a notebook and pen and get to writing. You can also use pictures and other images to inspire you.
A great mindset to adopt is, “do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
It is easy to think of all the reasons why you can’t do this or that, but spending your time and energy focusing on the negatives won’t get you anywhere! Instead, choose to focus on what is POSSIBLE and the actions you can take now to move yourself towards your dream life.
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS