5 Ingredient At-Home DIY Detox Kit
By Lindsay Sibson
Every day we are exposed to toxins in our environment. From cancer-causing chemicals and preservatives to pesticides and industrial waste, these toxins affect our metabolism, immune system and mood and lead to a variety of ailments, including life-threatening diseases. When our bodies are overloaded with toxins we just don’t function that well!
So what is detoxing and how do you know if you need it?
Detoxing is defined as “riding the body of toxic or unhealthy substances.” That alone tells me that yea, we could all use a detox from time to time!
Here are some signs and symptoms that your body may need detoxing to bring it back to feeling vibrant and energized:
- Lack of energy
- Joint pain
- Digestive disorders
- Sleep problems
- Depressed feelings
- Memory issues
Still unsure as to why you should detox? How about this…
Research has shown that detoxing prevents chronic disease, enhances immune system function, slows premature aging, helps you lose weight, increases your energy and improves your skin quality. The reason why you feel these incredible effects of detoxing is because when your body is overloaded with toxins and unhealthy food, your digestive, nervous and hormonal systems struggle to work together. When you eliminate the harmful elements, you are able to restore balance to our body’s systems – which leaves you feeling happy and harmonious!
Now that you know that detoxing helps make you feel amazing, where the heck do you start?
A great starting point is to evaluate your environment. What are you putting in your mouth? What hygiene and makeup products are you using? What are you using to clean your home and clothing?
A great place to begin is by choosing natural foods (fruits, vegetables, raw nuts) for your meals and snacks versus processed food, which inevitably cause inflammation (sugar, wheat, dairy, junk food). Once you are fueling your body with nutritious and natural food, you can enhance your bodies detoxing process through a variety of easy and effective methods.
To prepare for your journey, start by making a Detox Kit. This simple and wallet friendly at-home detox kit includes the items you will need to start cleansing your body, from the inside out. All items are easy to find at your local market or health store.
Items needed for your kit:
- Apple Cider Vinegar (Organic, raw, unfiltered) – $4
- Pink Himalayan Sea Salt – $2
- Coconut Oil – $10
- Lemons (Bag of 4)- $2
- Eye mask and ear plugs – $2 (check your local dollar store!)
Total Cost: $20
There are endless ways to use the above items for at-home detoxing. Fitlife.tv is a great resource if you want more suggestions. Simply type the item into the search area and you will find plenty of awesome articles!
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
Apple Cider Vinegar
- Mix 1 tablespoon with 4 ounces of water as a drink to help boost immunity and weight loss.
- Mix 1 part ACV to 3 parts water as a toner and acne treatment for your face.
Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- Salt Water Flush to cleanse your colon – Mix 2 teaspoons of salt with 1 quart or warm water. Drink it down and stay near a bathroom as it will induce bowel movements.
- Swap your regular table for sea salt. Pink Himalayan salt is packed with 80 + minerals and elements and is said to be the purest form of sea salt.
- Oil pulling – place 1 teaspoon in your mouth and swish it around for 20 minutes (make sure to spit it in the trash). This practice will help whiten teeth and remove bacteria and debris from your mouth. Be sure to rinse your mouth and brush after spitting out the oil to prevent swallowing any of the gunk you’ve just lifted from your gums/teeth, etc.
- Moisturizer – use coconut oil instead of synthetic lotions.
- Cook with it – this is great because it will not go rancid at high heat like other oils (making is very safe to use cold or hot).
- Drink lemon with water daily for a gentle cleansing and hydrating beverage.
- Skin brightener – mix 1 part lemon juice with 1 part water and dab on dark skin spots
Eye Mask & Ear Plugs – because peaceful rest is VITAL to great health!
- Use these tools to create a comfortable and relaxing sleeping environment (I never regularly used them before traveling. Now I use them every night and it help me fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer!).
- Breathing technique to help you fall asleep. This technique helps slow your heart-rate and relax your mind. I recently started using this technique and it has worked amazingly well! I do 5 cycles and then continue breathing slowly. It used to take me 30 minutes or more to fall asleep and now I fall asleep within 5 minutes.
- Inhale deeply for 4 seconds
- Hold your breath for 7 seconds
- Exhale slowly for 8 seconds
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS