5 INCREDIBLE Health Benefits Of Pumpkin
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
Fall has officially arrived! Sweater weather is here! And everything PUMPKIN has inundated the markets. From fancy pumpkin spice lattes to pumpkin scented candles and lotions… there is no doubt that PUMPKIN is popular.
I’ve always been a fan of carving pumpkins. But, I must admit that until recently, I was rather clueless that EATING pumpkin had as many excellent health benefits as it does.
While I was traveling in Italy, someone gifted me a pumpkin that they had grown on their farm. I quickly chopped it up, tossed it in olive oil and stuck it in the oven. The results? It was absolutely delicious!
Check out these 5 incredible health benefits of pumpkin:
1. Pumpkin seeds boost your mood – Pumpkins are rich in tryptophan, which is an amino acid that is essential for the production of serotonin. Serotonin is a chemical that is responsible for mood balance (a deficit of serotonin leads to depression). Grab a handful of roasted seeds to put a pep in your step and a smile on your face!
2. Pumpkin helps with weight loss – Pumpkin is an excellent source of fiber! A one cup serving has 3 grams of fiber for only 49 calories… meaning you will stay fuller for longer for very few calories.
3. Pumpkins enhance your immune system – Pumpkins are packed with the essential nutrient Vitamin C. Just one cup of cooked pumpkin contains 11 milligrams of Vitamin C (the daily recommended amount is 60-75). Your immune system is strongly influenced by your nutrient intake – and Vitamin C is a vital nutrient to keep it working strong. You will also get a major dose of Vitamin A, which will help your body fight off infection and viruses.
4. Pumpkins may reduce your cancer risk – Because pumpkins are full on the antioxidant beta carotene, they help in neutralizing free radicals in your body (meaning they can’t cause damage). When your body has too many free radicals, it causes cell damage, which can accelerate the progression of cancer and other diseases.
5. Pumpkins promote youthful skin – The beta-carotene found in pumpkins will help protect your skin from the sun’s wrinkle-causing UV rays (when you eat it). You can also make an excellent skin-smoothing, all-natural face mask that will gently exfoliate your skin and give you a youthful glow!
Try this recipe: ¼ cup pureed pumpkin, 1 egg, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp organic raw milk. Mix ingredients together and then apply to your face for 20 minutes. Wash off with warm water.
Not sure what to do with a pumpkin other than to carve it? Don’t worry, here are a few simple ideas of how to incorporate more pumpkin into your diet:
1. For a great snack, try these roasted pumpkin seeds.
2. This ginger-pumpkin soup is perfect for a chilly Fall evening.
3. Have a fiesta with this pumpkin chili and pumpkin salsa.
4. Keep is easy with this roasted pumpkin recipe.
Pick up a pumpkin today, practice your carving skills (Halloween is only 1 month away!) and then whip up one of these yummy pumpkin recipes. Have a happy and healthy Fall!
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS