5 Health Benefits Of Kohlrabi
By Steve Fillmore
Kohlrabi, the subtle cabbage, is a nutrient-rich veggie of Eastern European origin.
Kohlrabi is abundant with dietary fiber, carotenoids and vitamins A, C, K and B vitamins. Kohlrabi also contains a group of substances called glucosinolates, which impart a spicy or bitter flavor and a pungent smell. According to the American Cancer Society, these substances break down during digestion and form compounds that may have anticancer effects.
Some Health Benefits Of Kohlrabi:
1. Good For Circulatory System – Kohlrabi is lower in saturated fats. Saturated fats are recognized as the “bad fats.”
2. Cancer Prevention – There are several phytochemicals in kohlrabi that are regarded as crucial in cancer avoidance, which includes glucosinolates.
3. Muscle And Nerve Functions – One cupful of kohlrabi contains 14% of the RDA of potassium. Potassium’s major role in the body is with muscle and nerve functions.
4. Weight Loss – Kohlrabi is loaded with dietary fiber, which helps encourage a healthy metabolic process and manages body weight. Just one cup a day can make a significant difference.
5. Skin Issues – Kohlrabi juice will help with skin issues such as acne. Just a glass of kohlrabi and carrot juice with water is enough. Simply juice one half of a kohlrabi with carrots and add water dilute (optional) and there you go!
What To Look For?
When it comes to picking out kohlrabi, you want to look for small white bulbs, otherwise known as baby kohlrabi. These will have a crisp, sweet and juicy flavor, like an apple. Baby kohlrabi pairs well with cauliflower, another cruciferous vegetable that is very healthy for you.
Simply separate the leaves and stems from the main globe and saute. Other ways to enjoy them are raw, pureed into soups, shredded for fritters or slaw or roasted or steamed as a side dish.
So, this mysterious vegetable that you never knew about before isn’t so mysterious anymore, is it? Here’s a recipe for you to get started with getting better acquainted with this uniques, awesome vegetable!
Recipe adopted from Liz Della Croce
Mashed Cauliflower And Kohlrabi
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 kohlrabi, peeled and cut into large chunks
- ½ cup plain yogurt (organic)
- 1 tbsp horseradish
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup chives minced
- Steam cauliflower and kohlrabi until fork tender (8-10 minutes).
- Smash the veggies with potato masher.
- Add yogurt, horseradish, salt, pepper and ¼ cup of chives.
- Garnish with chives and enjoy!
Steve Fillmore is a 2-time cancer THRIVER! His motto in life is: Love, Laugh, Live - Love yourself first; Laugh through all the crazy times; Live for life right now! Through proper diet, exercise and mindfulness, Steve has been able to recreate his body to work with and for him.
For fun, you can find Steve either teaching a Zumba class, or creating websites for clients.
Latest posts by Steve Fillmore (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS