5 Essential Oils To Keep Handy At Home
5 Essential Oils To Keep Handy At Home
Written by: Brandi Monasco
Essential oils are a staple in many households and that is because they can do so many different things. Many essential oils hold medicinal benefits, are great alternatives to making your home smell amazing and are even used as alternatives to household cleaning.
There are several studies that have found that essential oils can be beneficial for your health. One study found that using a mouthwash with a certain essential oil has additional benefits for dental hygiene, like fighting against gingivitis and dental plaque.
Essential Oils You Should Have At Home
- Helps Alleviate Symptoms From Respiratory Disorders. Using lavender essential oil can help alleviate the symptoms from respiratory problems such as coughs, flus, colds, asthma, bronchitis, tonsillitis and sinus congestion. To help alleviate respiratory condition symptoms, simply diffuse lavender essential oil in your favorite diffuser. You can also apply the oil to your neck, chest or back. If you place the oil on your skin, remember to dilute the oil with a carrier oil to avoid skin irritation.
- Helps Alleviate Pain. Lavender essential oil can ease the pain of sore or tense muscles and also backaches, sprains and joint pains. Add a few drops of the oil into the palm of your hands and massage the area that has pain.
- Helps With Sinus Infections. The antiviral and the antibacterial properties of tea tree oil make it great for remedying various respiratory system infections such as sinus infections. To treat sinus infections, boil water and add a few drops of tea tree oil. Place a towel over the head and breathe in for a couple of minutes.
- Works As An Expectorant For Coughs And Colds. Tea tree essential oil offers a relief from cold, cough and bronchitis. This happens when you rub the oil on the chest or inhale it. The best way to inhale the oil is to place some drops on a piece of cloth. This will especially ensure that the microbes responsible for severe tropical malaria and fevers are killed.
- Relieves Allergy Symptoms. Peppermint essential oil helps to relieve allergy symptoms by relaxing the muscles in your nasal passages. It can also help clear out any of that nasty gunk that may be lurking in your nose. Peppermint oil is also great for relieving muscle pain. You can add it to your bathwater and soak or massage a few drops on the area of the muscle that hurts.
- Good For Dental Health. Peppermint oil is a good oil to have on hand for your dental health as well. It contains the same chemical that store brand mouthwash contains, but is more natural. The oil can remove the film that builds up on your teeth that causes cavities. To use for dental health, simply add a drop into the toothpaste on your toothbrush. To use as a mouthwash, add a drop or two to a glass of water and rinse your mouth with the mixture. Make sure to not swallow it.
- Works As A Natural Antibiotic. Oregano oil also has the power to help with parasitic infections that are caused due to a number of different parasitic worms as well as urinary tract infections and lung infections. You can also use the oregano oil to help with food poisoning. To use as a natural antibiotic, you need to dilute the oil first. Simply add 3-4 drops of the oil to a glass of water and drink the glass 2-3 times during the day, especially before mealtimes.
- Great For Your Digestive Health. Oregano is loaded with fiber, which is beneficial to have a positive impact on your digestive system. Fiber also helps maintain your gut health and increases nutrient uptake. Follow the steps above by diluting the oil and adding 3-4 drops of the oil to a glass of water.
- Natural Hand Cleanser And Household Disinfectant. Eucalyptus essential oil works great as a hand cleaner and as a disinfectant. The oil has antibacterial properties that eliminate bacteria and germs. Simply add a few drops of oil mixed in with water into a pint sized spray bottle. You can now naturally clean countertops, toilet handles and anything that may have the cold or flu virus on it.
- Cleans Cuts And Wounds. Eucalyptus essential oils contain antiseptic properties that can clean and help with the recovery of cuts and wounds. It soothes the wound and adds a layer of protection against irritation or developing an infection. To use to clean cuts and wounds, dilute the oil with water and place 1 to 2 drops on the cut or wound to help keep it clean.
Do you have any experience with these essential oils? What’s your favorite way to use them? Share with us in the comments below!
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS