5 Easy Ways To Show Your Body The Love It Deserves
By Regina Pellegrino
Go ahead and take a moment to think of all the great things in your life that you provide extra care to.
Got the list? Good.
Perhaps you thought about your ultra sleek laptop that you dust off every morning, which you’re likely upgrading regularly and have a daily/weekly/monthly scheduled virus check ready to go. Not to mention how you store when not in use, all wrapped up like a present.
Or, how about your car that you have washed every month (or more!) and spend hundreds of dollars, even thousands on annually, just to maintain its worth?
It’s amazing how we have no problem taking the time to preserve our designer goods and keep on top of having the latest electronics, yet we cannot seem to take care of our most valuable belonging – our body.
Let’s face it, when it comes to maintenance and care, our body is often the first to fall to the bottom of our priority list due to busy schedules, finances and thinking that we are invincible.
Well, guess what? We can change that! Here are 5 simple ways to improve the way you take care of your body, shifting your priorities to put YOU at the top of your to do list each and every day. I promise your body will personally thank you for it once you do, over and over again!
1. Listen to your body. This rule is golden and it seems almost too obvious, yet so many times we get caught up in our day-to-day grind that we forget to take a moment and simply listen. Your body is capable of so much, but when it’s feeling run down and lacking nutrients, movement, love, or something else, it certainly has a way of letting you know. Find time throughout your day to check in with yourself and evaluate how you are feeling on a scale of 1-10 (1 = feeling your lowest, 10 = feeling your absolute best). Once you become more in tune with your body, you’ll be able to begin giving it what it needs to keep you running at a 10, each and every day.
2. Nourish your body. Just like your car and laptop need to be re-energized, so does your body. Refuel your body everyday with whole foods, hydrating liquids, self-care and movement and anything else it craves (keeping it healthy, of course). A body well nourished gives you the energy and stamina you need to perform to the best of your ability throughout the day. Your boss will love you for this when your performance at work hits an all time high (you might want to start asking for a raise now). And those around you will want to know your secret, which I encourage you to share!
3. Engage your body in physical activity. We know that getting our heart pumping and blood flowing are good for us, but what is important to remember is there is no “right” way to do this. We are all unique. Whether you practice yoga, take a spin class at the gym, lift weights, walk around your neighborhood, or chase your kids around the house, any bit of physical activity counts. Just make it a priority to get the body moving each day and do some daily stretches. A little bit goes a long way.
4. Rest your body. I know this was also a component of nourishing your body, however, I felt this deserved it’s own category because so many of us skimp on this constantly (myself included)! Many people boast about being able to function on as little as 3 or 4 hours a sleep, while also bingeing on 10 cups of coffee throughout the day. This is not healthy. 8-9 hours of sleep a night are ideal, as well as learning to slow down and rest when our body tells us to (we have to learn to listen and honor these signals). Long -lasting greatness is hard to achieve when you’re sleep-deprived. Trust me on that.
5. Appreciate your body. Last but certainly not least, just as you would give thanks for a tangible gift, give thanks to your body for all that it does for and with you on a daily basis. When I recently sprained my ankle, I realized that I took for granted my ability to walk without pain or discomfort on a daily basis. Now, each morning my feet hit the floor, I make sure to show extra gratitude for having fully functioning ligaments and joints, which allow me to confidently walk throughout my day!
So, what are you waiting for? Get started now! Your body needs your love. And most of all, you deserve your love.
Regina Pellegrino started her journey with health when first being diagnosed with IBS in 2004.After many failed attempts to find answers through countless doctor visits, Regina took her health into her own hands and began healing herself through proper diet and exercise. Through her own personal journey, her passion for leading a healthy lifestyle ignited her desire to learn more about fighting chronic illnesses naturally.
Regina is a Certified Health Coach through The Institution of Integrative Nutrition, as well as a certified Fitness Specialist through San Diego Mesa College. She is currently a student at San Francisco State University, studying Dietetics. Regina hopes that by sharing her personal journey, she can shine light and give hope to others looking to overcome their own health battles, with a positive mindset and awareness of the unique needs of each individual body.
Latest posts by Regina Pellegrino (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS