5 Easy DIY Remedies For Puffy Eyes
Written by: Kavata Kithome
“The eyes are the window to the soul” is something I am sure that you have heard before. Your eyes are the doorway to your heart. They reflect your emotions and your inner being. A lot can be concluded from the expression of your eyes. If for no other reason but because our face is our most powerful representative, it is imperative to take care of every aspect of them.
Puffy eyes can be a nuisance that most of us deal with on a daily basis. For me, this is during allergy season. But what are puffy eyes, anyway?
It is believed that puffy eyes can be caused by a stagnant lymph that can be due to inflammation and exhaustion and can contribute to excess water weight, which manifests in puffy eyes. Health professionals suggest that you need to drink plenty of water (which will shift toxins), cut back on salt and load up on diuretic foods such as veggies to flush out excess fluid. Oh and get some SLEEP!
That all sounds well and good, but sometimes you need a remedy to de-puff in a matter of minutes though, right?
I have 5 DIY hacks that have been tested and are tried and true. They can help calm, cool and deflate your eyes with minimal effort on your part.
1. Cold Spoons – An oldie, but a goodie, this trick works like a treat. If time allows, pop two metal spoons in the freezer for a few minutes to chill; if not, hold them under very cold running water instead. Then lie back with the cup of the spoons over your closed eyes for a minute and the cold will constrict the blood vessels, thereby reducing swelling.
2. Chamomile Tea Bags – As you may know, my love of tea makes this DIY a true favorite. All you have to do is wear chilled chamomile tea bags as eye masks for five minutes and the antioxidants and caffeine content will help tighten and tone the surrounding skin, increasing circulation and therefore drainage. And therein lies another reason to absolutely love tea!
3. Aloe Vera Gel – Here is one of my beauty secrets: I use the gel from fresh aloe vera leaves to lather all over my face and neck before I go to sleep. Let it dry and sleep! Rich in vitamin E and antioxidants, aloe vera is known to soothe skin and encourage cell repair, while its anti-inflammatory properties help decrease puffiness. I find that the gel from fresh leaves, applied around the eye-bone area and the face in general can makes my lids and lashes feel instantly fresher. Are you on your way to get an aloe vera leaf right now?
4. Chilled Eye Cream – If you regularly suffer from puffy eyes, keep your eye cream in the fridge and when applied, the active ingredients will work even harder. I like Caudalie Restorative Eye Crème, which has a tightening formula.
5. Drainage Massage – I believe that massage is one of the best ways to improve blood circulation and in turn encourage the removal of fluids, but as it’s a sensitive area, be gentle with your pressure. To do it when applying your eye cream, first tap it in with your fingertips, doing a drumming action underneath your eyes, then rest your fingertips there and gently pull on the the skin to support drainage. Next lift the upper eyelids by tapping the brow-bone and gently pushing the skin upward.
I have used all of these DIY’s and find that they work the best when my eyes are super puffy and I want look and feel my best. Do you have any other DIYs that work? Please share in the comments below! We all want to look our best!
No juicer? No problem! Organifi Green Juice is a carefully selected blend of 11 different superfoods including turmeric, spirulina, lemon, mint, moringa and more. It was formulated for busy women and men who are looking for a way to super boost their health and support their lifestyle without spending a lot of time or money in the kitchen. Try it today!
-This post contains affiliate links.
Kavata Kithome is an advocate for living your best life, full of health and longevity. While working closely with gym owners and personal trainers, she was able to sculpt a well-rounded view of fitness and understands how to incorporate it with a healthy balanced diet. She is a regular contributor to the One More Step Lifestyle brand.
Latest posts by Kavata Kithome (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS