5 Benefits Of Ginger Essential Oil
By Steve Fillmore
Ginger is a common ingredient in Asian and Indian cuisine and has been used for its medicinal purposes for thousands of years among many cultures.
Ginger has a long history for relieving digestive problems such as nausea, loss of appetite, pain and motion sickness as well as stomach upset, even cramps.
Did you know that the modern day ginger ale originated from Belfast, Ireland?
Ginger: Zingiber officinale
Extraction method/Origin: Steam distillation from the rhizomes – China, West Indies.
Healing Properties And Uses: Antiseptic, laxative, stimulant, tonic, warming, indigestion, motion sickness, angina, teething pain, vertigo, vomiting.
Historical Uses: In ancient Greece it was used in gingerbread and in Egypt it was used in their cuisine to ward off epidemics. In Rome it was used in wine for its aphrodisiac properties and in Chinese tonics to strengthen the heart and relieve head congestion. The Hawaiians used it to cook with, scent clothing and cure indigestion.
(I use it because I LOVE it and it makes me feel amazing!!!)
Here Are The Top 5 Benefits Of Ginger Essential Oil:
1. Upset Stomach And Digestion – Ginger is effective in helping with a wide range of digestive issues such as indigestion, diarrhea, colic, spasms and stomach aches. To use, simply apply a few drops on or around the stomach area.
2. Natural Aphrodisiac – Who doesn’t want a little extra love? Ginger essential oil increases sexual desire by having a warming effect on the body. It helps by increasing blood flow and energy. To use, just apply a few drops of oil to your sexual organ acupressure points on the feet.
3. Improves Liver Function – In a study published by the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, ginger essential oil has both antioxidant and hepatoprotective In this study, it was shown that it was effective in treating alcoholic fatty liver disease. To use, add a few drops (no more than 2) to drinking water and enjoy daily (can also be applied topically on the skin surrounding the liver).
4. Alleviates Muscle And Menstrual Pain – Ginger’s main pain fighting component is zingibain. Ginger essential oil is effective in treating menstrual cramps, back pain, soreness and headaches. To use, simply consume 1 to 2 drops daily. Can also be applied topically, mixed with coconut oil (as a carrier oil) or lotion.
5. Strengthens Heart Health – “Ginger may reduce cholesterol and help prevent blood from clotting,“ according to a study at the University of Maryland Medical Center. Ginger essential oil also appears to improve lipid metabolism, which in turn, helps decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
Ginger essential oil is the most potent form of ginger as it contains the highest levels of gingerol. This is the #1 way to use ginger as medicine. It can be taken internally to treat health conditions or rubbed topically with a carrier oil such as grapeseed oil or avocado oil. Typically you would only need 1 to 2 drops of essential oil.
- 1 ½ cups chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cups water
- ¼ - ⅓ cup raw honey
- 1 quart chilled seltzer or club soda
- 3 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Make syrup:
- Cook ginger in water in a small saucepan at a low simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let steep covered for 20 minutes.
- Strain mixture through a sieve into a bowl, pressing on ginger and then discarding.
- Return liquid to a saucepan and add sugar and a pinch of salt, then heat over medium heat, stirring until honey has dissolved.
- Chill syrup in a covered jar until cold.
- Mix ginger syrup with seltzer and lime juice start with ¼ cup syrup and 1 ½ tsp lime juice per ¾ seltzer, then adjust to taste ).
- Disclaimer: Never apply ginger essential oil in any orifice on the body or in your private areas such as the groin area. When applying topically, be sure to test a small sample on your hand. Use a carrier oil or coconut oil to dilute the essential oil. When ingesting, dilute the essential oil in almond milk (or other form of milk). Having ginger essential oil alone in the mouth can be very “hot.”
Steve Fillmore is a 2-time cancer THRIVER! His motto in life is: Love, Laugh, Live - Love yourself first; Laugh through all the crazy times; Live for life right now! Through proper diet, exercise and mindfulness, Steve has been able to recreate his body to work with and for him.
For fun, you can find Steve either teaching a Zumba class, or creating websites for clients.
Latest posts by Steve Fillmore (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS