42 Things To Do Instead Of Spending Money
By Lindsay Sibson
I only spent $5,000 last year.
That wasn’t my spending for just food, or beauty services, or entertainment. That was what I spent IN TOTAL!
I had made a decision to make a major life change to fulfil my dream of traveling the world. I quit my job, sold all my stuff, saved a little money and bought a one way ticket to Europe. I seriously had NO idea where I was going to live and what I was going to do. BUT, I had the confidence that I would figure it all out… and I did.
That isn’t to go without saying that it was a tad bit crazy at times! Being in a foreign country on a meager budget is quite the adventure. I was able to volunteer in exchange for room and board, which was a major budget helper, but I still had to get myself around, feed myself at times and “see the sights!”
The experience taught me that there are endless fun, amazing, adventurous and educational things you can do without spending money (or even spending just a few bucks).
Here Are 42 Things You Can Do Instead Of Spending Money:
1. Go For A Walk: This was my favorite activity when I arrived in a new town! Not only is it beneficial for your health, but you can discover the “hidden treasures” of new places.
2. Go Hiking: This goes hand in hand with walking… head into nature and enjoy the beauty around you!
3. Take A Bath: Grab a book, put some coconut oil in the water for smoother skin and relax. Warning: it will be a little slippery to be careful stepping out of the tub.
4. Read A Book: Head to your local library (or check for free e-books on Amazon) and dive in. It will keep your mind active and you can learn something new.
5. Start A Journal: It’s a great outlet to express your thoughts and feelings. Don’t forget to write about what you are grateful for!
6. Listen To A Podcast: There are amazing FREE podcasts that offer excellent information.
7. Clear Your Clutter: Clean out that closet or drawer that is packed with “stuff.” If you haven’t used it recently, sell it or donate it.
8. Have A Garage Sale: One person’s trash is another person’s treasure. Sell your clutter and save the money to fulfill one of your goals.
9. Take A Nap: Your body rejuvenates itself while sleeping. Take a rest and wake up refreshed.
10. Visit A Museum On A Free Day: A quick search on the internet will give you the info you need for free days. I used these days A LOT while traveling.
11. Have An At Home Movie Night With Friends: Throw on pajamas, pop some popcorn and have a good ol’ fashioned movie night.
12. Visit Your Family And Friends: Connect with someone you haven’t talked to in a while.
13. Sign Up For com And Make International Friends: Search for local events or offer to host people in your home. I met AMAZING people through this website.
14. Join com: Start a new hobby or continue an old one by finding meetup groups in your area.
15. Volunteer: Share your skills with others. From community clean-ups to helping an elderly neighbor, there are many opportunities for you to give back.
16. Visit A Church: Either attend a service or, if you are not religious, simply check out the amazing beauty and architecture of the many different churches around you.
17. Practice Yoga: Stretch your body! Search Youtube for free videos.
18. Write A Story: Save your memories forever by writing down a favorite story or create a work of fiction.
19. Check Out Your Community Calendar For Free Events: Many communities have free speakers, conferences, festivals and other events. Take advantage of them.
20. Play With A Pet: If you don’t have one, head to your local shelter and see if you can help out for the day.
21. Play A Board Game: Relive your youth and pull out an old game you used to love.
22. Take Photographs: Between your cell phone and a filter app such as Instagram, you can create some amazing and artistic photos.
23. Start A Blog On A Topic That Interests You: Most blog platforms are free! Create yours today and share you knowledge or thoughts on something you like.
24. Play Outside: Grab a football and play catch. Blow bubbles. Fly a kite. Just get outside and enjoy the sunshine and fresh air.
25. Redecorate Your House With What You Have: Rearrange your furniture or pictures to create a NEW environment. Check out Pinterest or other websites for inspiration.
26. Binge Watch An Awesome TV Series: And don’t feel guilty about it. Enjoy!
27. Learn A Foreign Language: Youtube is a great resource to learn the basics.
28. Hand Write A Letter To Someone: And then send it to them through snail mail as a pleasant surprise.
29. GET THINGS DONE: Take the time to tackle your “TO DO” list once and for all. Complete home maintenance, clean your car… whatever it may be – get it DONE!
30. Research Your Family Tree: Learn about your ancestry and where you came from. You can visit com to get started.
31. Do Puzzles: Workout your brain with jigsaw puzzles, sudoku, crosswords puzzles, etc… I love to use the free version of Lumosity on my phone to give my brain some exercise.
32. Start A Workout Routine: If you are a beginner, start with a simple 5 minute routine you can easily complete at home. CLICK HERE for an easy “5 Minutes of Movement” idea.
33. Revisit A Favorite Movie Or Book: And get “the feels” as it brings back memories.
34. Try A Basic Meditation Technique: It helps alleviate stress and will leave you feeling calm and focused. Here is some guidance for meditation for beginners.
35. Do Some Networking: Meet new people, form new relationships and make new friends. You never know who you may meet or the impact it can have on your career and life.
36. Teach Others: Make a how-to Youtube video of something you are great at doing. Share your knowledge and wisdom with others.
37. Analyze Your Bills: Okay, so maybe this is not very FUN, but take a look at how you are spending your money and see if there are any areas you can eliminate or cut back your spending. Save that money to use on fulfilling one of your goals.
38. Dig Through Your Cabinets And Prepare Meals: Clean out your cabinets and use what you have to make a creative meal. Use this recipe creator to help you make something delicious.
39. Write A Bucket List: What do you want to do in your life? Write it down in a list!
40. Set GOALS: Take items from your Bucket List and create a plan. WATCH THIS VIDEO to learn how to effectively set goals.
41. Create A Vision Board: This is a visual creation using pictures and words of what you want in your life. Look at it everyday to keep you on track! Use this FREE APP to create your vision board.
42. Research Something That You Are Curious About: “Google”
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS