4 Healthy Recipes For An EPIC 4th Of July Season
Written by: Kavata Kithome
It is that time again, time for barbecue and fireworks. My how the time flies! Summer is a great time to kick back, relax and enjoy time with family and friends.
Are you the kind of person who loves to throw the most amazing get-togethers and parties? Do your friends and family think of you as the hostess with the mostest? You have been thinking about and planning this for a while, you want everything to be perfect and unforgettable.
If this is you, then you have come to the right place. Here are 4 healthy recipes, I have collected just for you, guaranteed to make this the best 4th of July party season yet.
Grilled Zucchini With Parmesan Pesto
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1 small garlic clove
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 zucchini
- Olive oil
- Combine basil leaves, garlic and pine nuts in a food processor; pulse until well-blended.
- Gradually pour in ½ cup olive oil and Parmesan cheese; pulse again. The pesto should be very thick. Adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper, as desired.
- Thinly slice zucchini lengthwise; brush lightly with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and black pepper.
- Grill until marked on both sides and tender (about 1 minute per side); remove and cool.
- Spread about 1 teaspoon of pesto on 1 side of each grilled zucchini slice; roll up and secure with a toothpick.
BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- 1 ¾ pounds sliced onion (about 3)
- 6 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breast (about 4 thighs)
- ½ cup jarred barbecue sauce
- 2 tbsp light sour cream
- 1 ½ tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp agave syrup or honey
- 6 ounces cabbage-and-carrot coleslaw mix
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 4 ciabatta rolls, toasted
- Preheat broiler. Place onion and garlic on a foil-lined baking sheet; toss with oil. Broil 5 minutes, 6 inches from heat, until onion is golden, stirring often.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Transfer onion mixture to a square glass baking dish; top with chicken. Pour barbecue sauce over chicken; cover tightly with foil. Bake, in middle of oven, until chicken is cooked through (about 20-30 minutes).
- Combine sour cream, vinegar and honey; whisk well. Toss with coleslaw mix and pepper.
- Shred chicken with a fork; top bottoms of rolls with chicken, onion, sauce mixture and coleslaw. Place roll tops on sandwiches.
Next level Potato Salad
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp pepper & Salt
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 2 cups diced red cabbage
- 1 bag (about 24 oz.) tricolor baby potatoes, scrubbed and sliced
- 2 tbsp safflower or canola oil
- ¼ cup minced chives
- In a bowl, stir vinegar, sugar, pepper and ½ tsp. Salt until sugar dissolves. Stir in mustard seeds and cabbage.
- Bring salted water to a boil. Add potatoes, return to a boil and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain potatoes; let cool slightly. Fold into cabbage mixture with oil and chives. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 1 small watermelon (about 6 pounds), cut into 1-inch-thick rounds (lay melon on its side and cut through rind and flesh with a sharp knife)
- ½ cup small mint leaves, torn
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled into large chunks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Heat a grill or grill pan over high heat until very hot. Two at a time, grill watermelon rounds, turning once, until charred (about 2-3 minutes per side). Transfer watermelon to a cutting board and remove rind; cut rounds into wedges.
- Arrange watermelon on a serving platter; sprinkle with mint and feta. Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Share these amazing recipes with your grill master!
- 1 peeled, cored pineapple
- 1 pink grapefruit
- 1 navel orange
- 1 green apple
- 2 apricots
- 2 plums
- 2 peaches
- 12 cherries
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 lemons, halved
- Cooking spray
- Optional: ½ cup toasted coconut
- Slice pineapple, grapefruit, orange and apple ½-inch thick; halve remaining fruit. In large pan combine oil, ginger, salt and juice of 1 lemon; toss with fruit and second lemon.
- Heat grill pan or outdoor grill (coat grill pan with spray.) In batches, grill fruit over medium-high heat until tender (2-4 minutes per side). Transfer to platter.
- Squeeze grilled lemon over fruit.
- Optional: Sprinkle with coconut.
Now that I have removed the stress of planning a wonderful menu for your party, I ask you to do something very special. As you can see, my menu does not have a healthy, tasty dessert. Do you have an amazing dessert recipe? Please share in the comments below!
Kavata Kithome is an advocate for living your best life, full of health and longevity. While working closely with gym owners and personal trainers, she was able to sculpt a well-rounded view of fitness and understands how to incorporate it with a healthy balanced diet. She is a regular contributor to the One More Step Lifestyle brand.
Latest posts by Kavata Kithome (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS