3 Tips to Get Rid of Puffy Eyes and Dark Circles
Written by: Meghan Marfise
You roll out of bed, stumble to the bathroom – (realizing you’d better get a move on it since you hit the snooze button twice) – and look in the mirror. Bam! That’s when you see them… the puffy eyes and dark circles. “Not now, not today!,” you think. “Today I have to _____ (fill in the blank with appropriately important task).”
The result: you look tired, fatigued, stressed and aged.
What are dark circles, exactly?
These dark-bluish, half moon patches under your eyes are simply your blood vessels sitting right below the surface of the skin. That part of your skin is very thin, so the “dark circles” are usually the result of light reflecting off those blood vessels that are sitting right below.
Why do they happen?
There are many reasons for unsightly dark circles and unwanted puffiness and here a few of the top contenders…
1. Genetics: Your genes play a huge role. While this might seem unfair (thanks a lot mom and dad!), we now know through the study of epigenetics, we are not destined to our genes. While we may have a higher predisposition to some of these genetic traits, our diet and lifestyle gives us the opportunity to turn “on” or “off” these inherited traits. Pretty cool, right?
2. Hormone Imbalance: Dark circles and puffy eyes can be a sign of a more serious, underlying hormonal imbalance, such as a thyroid or adrenal problem. If you are experiencing other symptoms, such as fatigue, unrelenting weight gain, dry hair or skin, brain fog, moodiness, or low libido, I would suggest seeing someone who can test your hormones and look at a combination of your signs and symptoms in a holistic manner.
3. Thinning Skin: As we age, our skin loses much of it’s elasticity and collagen and becomes thinner. Therefore, the thinner the skin, the more we see the dark color from the blood vessels come through.
4. Fatigue: We all know how important the benefits of sleep are, but here’s another reason to add it to the ist. Inadequate sleep causes your skin to look paler, therefore, your blood vessels will show though, leading to more prominent dark circles. Also, lack of sleep causes your blood vessels to dilate and fluid to accumulate under the eyes, which causes puffiness. So hit that pillow and get some zzz’s!
5. Nutritional Deficiency: Getting the appropriate amount of important nutrients does more than just give you energy and keep your immune system strong; it gives you radiant skin, which makes you feel sexy and beautiful! If you’re not getting the essential nutrients, minerals, proteins and healthy fats, then your skin will show it. Iron deficiency can lead to dark circles and puffiness under the eyes due to lack of tissue oxygenation and blood pooling. Dark leafy greens and organic, grass fed meats are great sources of iron. A diet loaded with antioxidant rich foods (berries, sprouts, organic veggies, nuts and seeds, parsley, green tea) is going to be your best medicine for glowing, younger-looking skin.
6. Food Sensitivities/Allergies: Undiagnosed food sensitivities can cause a variety of health problems, from digestion issues or eczema, to puffy eyes or dark under-eye circles. Most often, when the problematic foods are eliminated for my clients, a myriad of symptoms go away. Unfortunately, it’s often the foods that we eat most that are the foods we are most sensitive to. If you’re wondering how to determine if you have any food sensitivities or allergies, an elimination diet or cleanse, such as the one that I offer, is a fantastic way to start. Other methods would include food sensitivity testing from a health coach or practitioner.
Get Rid of Your Dark Circles and Puffy Eyes
Of course, my goal for you is to get to the root cause of WHY you’re experiencing dark circles and puffy eyes in the first place, but below are a few inexpensive, natural tricks if you need a quick fix.
1. Almond Oil:
This is rich in nourishing vitamins and fatty acid and helps to lighten the skin and reduce dullness. Gently massage this oil around the eyes every night to increase blood circulation.
2. Turmeric with Honey:
Mix one tablespoon of turmeric powder with one tablespoon of honey and apply this gooey mixture under your eyes for ten minutes. Turmeric has amazing healing and anti inflammatory properties, as well as being a fantastic blood circulator, which will help diminish dark circles. You may want to apply a small amount to a test spot elsewhere on your body to ensure you don’t have any reactions first. Warning: this can cause your eyes to water, but that is temporary until it’s washed off.
3. Tea Bags:
Take two caffeinated tea bags (note: must be caffeinated), run them under warm water and then place them on your eyes to sit for 5-10 minutes. The tannins reduce dark circles and the caffeine draws out excess water from around the eye.
Wondering where to start? For further information and/or guidance on anything mentioned above, feel free to contact me or any other trained practitioner that will listen to your needs and work on getting to the root cause of your health concerns.
Do you have a trick to beating the un-welcomed dark circles or puffy eyes? Comment below and share with us!
Meghan Marfise is a Women's Holistic Health Coach and founder of BlissfullyBalanced Life, a company dedicated to balancing all things hormone related! This includes period issues, preparing for conception, enhancing fertility naturally, increasing sex-drive, weight loss and much more! Meghan’s nurturing demeanor and inquisitive nature, helps her in her passion of finding and treating the root cause of health conditions, not just the symptoms.
Through her step-by-step protocols and her online Blissfully Balanced Hormone E-Course, Meghan supports clients locally and internationally by taking a holistic approach that uses nutrition, herbs and supplements, as well as lifestyle adjustments to help women feel glorious, energized and glowing again. She also trains other health coaches and alternative healers in hormone balancing protocols to use with their clients.
Latest posts by Meghan Marfise (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS