3 Reasons Why BlueBerries Are Super
Written by: Brandi Monasco
Every year, my family ventures into the back of the property and picks blueberries off of our trees. I always come home with a big gallon full of blueberries that go straight into my freezer to be added into my morning smoothies or to make blueberry loaves.
Blueberries are probably one of the most popular summertime treats that you can find year round. They are also considered one of the world’s top super foods because of the amazing health benefits that are found within them.
- Lower Blood Pressure. High blood pressure is one of the many causes of heart disease, which is one of this country’s leading killers. Blueberries contain magnesium, calcium and potassium, which all help lower high blood pressure. One study found that obese individuals who were at risk for heart disease from high blood pressure had a 4 to 6% reduction in high blood pressure after eating 1.7 ounces of blueberries each day for eight weeks.
- Maintain Healthy Bones. The magnesium and calcium, along with zinc and vitamin K, aid in building bones and maintaining their structure and strength. Blueberries also contain iron and zinc, which both help play roles in maintaining the elasticity and strength of your joints and bones.
- High In Antioxidants. Having a large amount of antioxidants is probably the main reason why blueberries are considered a superfood. Blueberries have the highest antioxidant level when compared to many popular fruits and vegetables. Antioxidants help protect your body from damage that is caused by free radicals that can cause damage to cellular structure that in turn, can cause cancer and premature aging.
Blueberries are pretty easy to come by all year round and it’s not hard to incorporate them into your daily diet.
- Add blueberries into your pancakes or waffles.
- Add them into your smoothies.
- Use blueberries as toppings on your oatmeal, cereal, waffles and pancakes.
- Eat them raw as a nice, refreshing snack.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy blueberries? Share with us in the comments below!
Source, Source, Source
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS