3 Reasons To Eat More Beans
Written by: Brandi Monasco
3 Reasons To Eat More Beans
Beans usually get a bad rep for causing, well, gassiness. But although this might be the case for many people, eating 3 cups of beans a week is actually really good for your health.
There is tons of variety to choose from: black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans and even more than that.
Even though you might get the ill effects of gassiness from eating beans, the health benefits definitely outweigh the cons!
1. Manage Diabetes. Beans are loaded with fiber and they contain soluble fiber which in and of itself, provides numerous health benefits such as helping to keep your blood sugar under control. Beans also contain a balance of complex carbohydrates and proteins that provide your body with a slow and steady source of glucose rather than a sudden surge that you may often get when you eat simple carbs.
Another reason beans are great for managing diabetes is because since they are digested slowly, they help to keep your glucose level stable.
2. Heart Health. The soluble fiber found in beans not only helps to manage your blood sugar, but it also helps in lowering your cholesterol. The fiber in beans basically binds to the cholesterol that enters your body from other foods and prevents the cholesterol from being absorbed in your blood stream.
Because beans lower your cholesterol levels, this means that they are good for your heart and keeping your heart healthy. Research has found that getting an “additional 7 grams of fiber could significantly lower your risk” of developing heart disease or cardiovascular disease.
3. Help Manage Weight. Beans contain belly-filling fiber as well as protein which is also needed to help curb cravings. Eating just half a cup of cooked black beans contains roughly 8 grams of protein, which is great if you are a vegetarian because 1 ounce of chicken contains the same amount of protein.
Beans are also low in fat, meaning that they contain little to no cholesterol, unless prepared with other ingredients. Also, since beans fill you up faster, you will be fuller for longer and they give you a steady supply of energy throughout the day.
Add More Beans To Your Diet
Adding beans to your daily diet is fairly easy:
- Add cooked black beans or chickpeas to a green salad.
- Toss cooked beans with bell pepper and red onion with a vinaigrette or your favorite dressing to make a cold salad.
- Eat minestrone, black bean or lentil soup.
- Add chickpeas to quinoa or brown rice.
The list is endless! There are so many ways to enjoy beans and add them to your diet! What ideas do you have? Please share in the comments below!
Source, Source, Source, Source
Source: Castleman, M. (1996). Nature’s Cures.
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS