3-Day Apple Detox Diet
Written by: Megan Reeves
Do you remember as a child hearing the phrase, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”? Well, in this case – it’s going to be tons of apples for 3 straight days! Enjoy a plethora of health benefits, while resetting your metabolism (quickly!). Read on for all the details on how this detox diet can give you nearly instant health and beauty gratification!
Why the Apple Detox Diet?
- Apples are mega good for you. Apples are one of the healthiest foods on the planet. In fact, they are often referred to as a “nutritional powerhouse”. High in Vitamins A, C, E, and K, as well as B-complex, apples are a great source of polyphenols (act as an antioxidant) and pectin (helps cleanse blood vessels and prevents plaque build up). Furthermore, they are rich in iron, potassium, phosphorus, calcium, biotin, and folic acid. Now you know why our bodies love them so much!
- You’ll give your digestive system a break, so your body can repair itself on a deeper level. Digestion requires much of the body’s energy throughout our waking hours, which keeps it very busy just trying to process our meals.In fact, intermittent fasting (IF) is quickly become a widespread health trend and is being studied extensively for its benefits, which may go beyond just having a more aesthetic-looking, leaner body. Some early research indicates that IF has a positive effect on the brain, cellular health, hormones and the immune system.
- It’s an ancient remedy. Known as the Father of Holistic Medicine, Edgar Cayce, prophesied about the apple “diet” as one of the best cures for physical ailments.The 3-day apple detox alkalizes and purifies the body, so it is able to enhance energy and vitality over a short period of time, while reducing inflammation.
Here’s how you do it…
In total, the apple cleanse will be 7 days – you’ll spend 2 days preparing, 3 days cleansing and 2 days transitioning back to a normal diet (although you’ll likely find that your taste buds and body are craving a healthier palate!). It’s ideal to do the apple only days when you aren’t working and can spend most of your time resting. As with any detox, fatigue is common as your body works overtime to support your best efforts.
Days 1 & 2 – Prep Days
Consume: Green juice, smoothies, fruit, salads, lean protein (small quantities), steamed vegetables and limited whole grains such as rice or quinoa. On day 2, only have a simple green salad or fruit for dinner and do not eat after 7pm. This will help prime your body the best for the apple days.
Avoid: Alcohol, high glycemic carbohydrates, processed foods, sugar, potatoes, dairy, soy, coffee, and overeating.
Days 3, 4, & 5 – Apple Days
Consume: Apples! You can eat as many raw apples as you’d like. I recommend purchasing a few bags of different types of apples to mix it up and of course, organic and locally grown apples are ideal. You are going to eat only apples (including the peel) on days 3, 4, and 5, while drinking only water and herbal teas.
Tips: Flush your body with extra water (at least half your bodyweight in ounces per day) – you can add chlorophyll for deeper cleansing and to boost your energy levels during the detox. You may also drink an herbal tea at night, such as SmoothMove to keep your bowels moving and take hot epsom salt baths and/or use an infrared sauna for further sweat induced cleansing. Get lots of rest and only do light exercise, such as outdoor walks and yin yoga.
Days 6 & 7 – Transition Days
Consume: Green juice, smoothie or fruit for breakfast and then soups and steamed vegetables the rest of the day. Eat light, small meals while your digestion returns to normal and keep drinking tons of water.
Strategies for Success
- Have a solid plan. Be sure to pick a good week when you can get extra rest, don’t have social events to attend, or a high amount of stress on your plate. Getting enough apples from the start is also great, so you don’t have to go back to the grocery store mid-cleanse (people typically eat 10 – 12 apples a day).
- Use the buddy system. The Apple Detox Diet is so much fun when your partner or friend does it with you! Enlist a like-minded detox buddy for support and accountability.
- Reward yourself. A 3-day cleanse isn’t easy, even for those of us in the health industry! Be sure and remember your “why” that got you started on the cleanse and plan to do something nice for yourself when the cleanse is over. Maybe you need that new dress you’ve been eyeing or can take a little weekend getaway with your sweetheart? It’s scientifically proven that meaningful rewards can boost motivation by up to 85%. Plan ahead what nice (non-food) related reward you’ll gift yourself after Day 7!
Success is sweet, FitLifer!
Beyond the benefits listed above, you’ll also experience a slimmed waistline, reduction in bloating, clearer skin, more energy, and a rebalanced appetite. On average, people lose anywhere from 5 – 12 lbs over the 7 days.
Precautionary Note: The Apple Detox Diet is not for women who are pregnant or nursing. It is also contraindicated for those who have heart, liver, or kidney conditions. Always consult a medical practitioner before doing any cleanse if you have health concerns.
Megan Reeves is a Certified Success Coach, Corporate Wellness Specialist (CCWS), hypnotherapist, astrologer and essential oils expert living in Los Angeles, California. Her passion is to give others the inspiration and tools to live their very best, happiest and healthiest life because NOW is always the right time to start feeling great!
Latest posts by Megan Reeves (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS