20 Reasons To Love Avocados
By Steve Fillmore
I am sure you already know how AWESOME avocados are as far as being a delicious and super-loaded fruit…
But did you know…
A typical serving of avocado (100g) contains up to 12% in B vitamins, 20% in vitamin K and 10% potassium. Avocados are also rich in phytosterols and carotenoids such as lutein zeaxanthin, all of which are good for overall health and longevity as well as helping you develop beautiful skin.
If you don’t love them already, here are 20 reasons why you should:
1. They can fit into a variety of healthy eating plans.
2. They act as a “nutrient booster” to help your body absorb more fat soluble nutrients.
3. They can be a healthy substitute spread on sandwiches and help reduce calories.
4. They are an easy way to boost fruit intake (yep, they’re a fruit!).
5. They work great as a soothing and hydrating face mask (recipe below).
6. They can be used in sweet desserts and smoothies (pudding recipe below).
7. They contain 0mg of salt and 0mg of cholesterol.
8. The creamy texture makes a great first food for babies.
9. They can help reduce risk of heart disease.
10. They contain 81 mg of carotenoids per serving, which is good for eye health.
11. They are good for the brain and nervous system.
12. They are a great vegetarian substitute for animal fats in baked goods and other dishes.
13. You can bake them, grill them, or eat them raw.
14. They are used cross-culturally in cuisines from Mexico to Asia.
15. A 1 oz serving is only 50 calories.
16. They have a delicious rich and creamy flavor.
17. They make a great post-workout snack.
18. They make a great creamy addition to quinoa and other whole grain dishes.
19. They make a fresh and creamy popsicle (recipe below).
20. Mashed avocados make a great condiment.
The mighty avocado. Versatile. Portable. Edible. Beautiful.
Here are some recipes to get you started with your newfound avocado craze:
- ½ cup mashed avocado
- Lime juice
- 2 tbsp raw honey or maple syrup
- 1 cup almond milk or coconut milk
- Blend together and freeze.
Chocolate Avocado Pudding
- 2 large avocados - peeled, pitted and cubed
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup brown sugar (or substitute)
- ⅓ cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- Blend avocados, cocoa powder, brown sugar, coconut milk, vanilla extract and cinnamon in a blender until smooth.
- Refrigerate pudding until chilled, about 30 minutes.
Sweet Lavender Avocado Face Mask
- ½ avocado
- ¼ cup uncooked oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 4 drops lavender essential oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Take all the ingredients and mash together in a bowl.
- Apply to face. Breathe.
- Relax for 20 minutes.
- Wash off.
- 3 medium avocados
- 1 large tomato diced
- ½ white onion diced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Scoop out flesh of avocados. Mash with fork.
- Add all ingredients. Stir together.
Steve Fillmore is a 2-time cancer THRIVER! His motto in life is: Love, Laugh, Live - Love yourself first; Laugh through all the crazy times; Live for life right now! Through proper diet, exercise and mindfulness, Steve has been able to recreate his body to work with and for him.
For fun, you can find Steve either teaching a Zumba class, or creating websites for clients.
Latest posts by Steve Fillmore (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS