2 Dairy-Free Ice Cream Alternatives That You Can Make in Seconds With Just a Blender
By Amber Alexander
As the weather gets warmer, ice cream is a popular treat among many. But if you are lactose intolerant, vegan, or trying to eat healthier, all that dairy and sugar can really get in the way! Not to fear though! There are several easy-to-make healthy alternatives that are satisfying and delicious.
Below are two varieties of ice cream alternatives that are much healthier for you because they are completely dairy-free and contain natural sugars instead of artificial. When you make your own ice cream, you are cutting out preservatives found in store bought ice cream and adding in a long list of nutritional benefits.
The best part? Neither variety requires an ice cream maker and can be made with only a blender!
Quite possibly the easiest way to make an ice cream alternative is with frozen bananas. High in potassium, bananas are great for cardiovascular and digestive health. They also help with muscle cramping, which is more prevalent for active people during summer months when it is easier to get dehydrated or to work yourself too hard.
Here’s what you do:
Option #1: Peel a few ripe bananas, put them in a freezer bag and throw them in the freezer. When you are looking for a cool treat, throw one of them into the blender and blend until smooth. If it is too thick, try adding ⅓ cup almond milk. Try some of these flavor variations:
- Blend in ½ teaspoon of vanilla and 2 tablespoons of cacao powder for a chocolate ice cream (if you prefer a little more sweetness, add a teaspoon of raw honey or maple syrup).
- Make a berry sauce like this one and drizzle it over the ice cream.
- Blend in 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and serve with crushed salted pretzels on top (this is delicious with cocoa powder in it too!).
Option #2: If bananas aren’t your favorite, try making an ice cream that has a coconut milk base! It is creamy like a dairy based ice cream and the coconut milk provides your body and brain with easily digestible nutrients that the body needs for energy and tissue repair, which are both important for active days in hot weather. The health benefits are also many!
What to do for coconut milk based ice cream:
- Take a BPA-free can of coconut milk and put it in the refrigerator overnight. All the cream will rise to the top and solidify.
- Use about a ¼ cup of the solidified cream in a blender with 1 cup of frozen fruit of your choice.
- My favorite recipe is this one from paleomagazine.com
- A cup of frozen cherries, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and ¼ cup of coconut flakes is a great flavorful twist.
- One cup of raspberries or strawberries with 2 tablespoons of chopped basil and ½ teaspoon of vanilla is a unique way to treat your family too!
- Experiment and find out what you like best!
Being healthy doesn’t mean you can’t treat yourself with some sweet treats to cool off with this summer! Enjoy!
Organifi Complete Protein is our very own VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE, ORGANIC protein powder that doubles as a multivitamin! It’s creamy and delicious. Getting enough daily protein has been shown to help support weight loss, muscle tone, improve immunity and boost energy. Get your bottle here.
As a Certified Holistic Health Coach, Amber Alexander follows her passion for vibrant wellness by supporting others in cultivating greater health and joy, specializing in family nutrition and individuals recently diagnosed with autoimmune diseases and/or food sensitivities.
When not working to make the world a healthier place one person at a time, she can be found on her yoga mat breathing deeply, in her kitchen cooking up nourishing deliciousness for her family and loved ones, or out dancing in the woods. She strives everyday to do at least one thing that infuses her whole being with radiance, joy and strength and believes that a hug can solve almost any quandary.
Latest posts by Amber Alexander (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS