14 Proven Health Benefits Of Chia Seeds
By Paula Scimone
When you add chia seeds to your diet, you are taking in a whole lot of goodness – more than you probably even know! You wouldn’t expect such simple, nearly tasteless seeds to have such bursting quality, but chia seeds can – and will – kick all doubt out the door with just their incredible nutritional value alone.
One of the easiest little health foods to add to your diet, this superfood that’s been growing in popularity by the day has only proven to be all the more worthy of such a renowned status.
To start off, these unique seeds are rich in healthy omega-3 fatty acids, carbohydrates, protein, fiber, antioxidants and calcium – and that’s only the beginning!
Widely available and awesomely versatile, here are 14 ways chia seeds can boost your health and add a great edge to your diet:
1. Chia seeds can help with diabetes. They are capable of improving certain blood markers and lowering blood pressure.
2. Chia seeds are gluten-free! Safe for anyone on a restricted diet for gluten intolerance or Celiac.
3. They are loaded with antioxidants. These help protect the delicate fat in the seeds. Antioxidants also help fight free radicals in the body.
4. Regardless of the their tiny size, they are among the most nutritious foods on the planet.
5. They are good for the digestive system. The fiber feeds the bacteria in your intestines, which nourishes your body with essential compounds for immunity and overall health.
6. They are high quality protein. Chia seeds by weight are about 14% protein, which is very high compared to most plant foods.
7. A typically non-GMO Most chia seeds are organic, non-irradiated and are produced without pesticides, which means they are one of the world’s purest seeds. Therefore, you can eat them without having to worry about consuming harmful pesticides.
8. Chia seeds are a great source of calcium. They help support healthy bones. One ounce is all you need for an adult – 18% of the recommended RDA.
9. They help with detoxification. They are anti-inflammatory, support a healthy gut and repair your cells.
10. Chia seeds are great for hair, nails and skin vitality. Therefore, giving an extra boost to your beauty routine from the inside to the outside.
11. Most of the carbs in chia seeds come from fiber. So eating them supports a low-carb diet plan. They reduce hunger pains and are awesome at helping you reach your weight loss goals.
12. Because they are 36% fiber and are the perfect balance of 80% insoluble versus 20% soluble, chia seeds help lower cholesterol, improve intestinal health and have be known to reduce the risk of colon cancer.
13. Weight loss – as mentioned, chia seeds can help! With their ability to absorb water, they make you feel full longer. This is also because of their high protein and fiber content.
14. Chia seeds mix very easily into your diet. They have a bland taste, so chia seeds can be added to just about anything completely unnoticed; they do not even need to be ground! Add them to smoothies, yogurt, salads, vegetables, puddings or anything else you can think of for an extra tasty, nutritious treat. They will expand in liquids which thickens the consistency so add them right before consumption if adding them to something like a smoothie or juice.
It’s true, chia seeds are one of those new trendy superfoods, but make no mistake – this stuff’s not just fluff. They have an excellent nutritional kick worth trying out and having on your side!
Do you know any other awesome ways to incorporate chia seeds into your diet? Feel free to share with us in the comments below!
Paula Scimone is a Fitlife.tv Certified Transformation Coach with 7 years experience teaching aerobics, nautilus and creating personalized workout plans to help clients reach their fitness goals.
Paula Joined Fitlife.tv in July 2013 diagnosed with Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis.A serious liver disease that causes cirrhosis of the liver leading to cancerous tumors.The disease is currently untreatable with medication. The only known cure is weight loss and healthy low fat diet combined with exercise.Paula started on a mission to cure herself,in March 2014 started with small group coaching and has lost over 45 lbs! Her liver specialist saw her for a routine visit in October 2014 delivering the news of a clean bill of health!
Paula?? passion shows as she helps clients achieve their transformation goals in weight loss, mindset, and living a healthy life without medications. She is ready to work alongside you if you are ready to take the next step in achieving your transformation goals.
Paula is a certified Fitlife coach - transform with Paula
Latest posts by Paula Scimone (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS