14 Amazing Ways To Increase Your Happiness
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
“I ‘should have’ gone to sleep earlier. I ‘could have’ eaten the salad instead of the pizza. I ‘would have’ gone to the gym but I was too tired.”
These three declarations are like poison if you want to live a happy, healthy, fulfilling life. Instead of focusing on what you truly WANT, these phrases look to the past and criticize you for NOT doing something.
Someone once said that there are two days a year that don’t exist… and they are yesterday and tomorrow. Therefore, it is important to start living for today and spending your time and energy doing what makes you feel happy and alive.
Here are 14 things to start doing for yourself TODAY:
1. Start taking accountability for your own life – FULLY: Your thoughts, decisions and actions are what are shaping your daily reality. Therefore, if you aren’t getting the results you want… it is up to YOU and you ONLY to make some shift happen. YOU are in control of creating your life.
2. Make happiness a priority: In a society where “busy” almost seems like the status quo, your focus can get derailed from doing what it is that makes you happy. Schedule time every day to do the activities that bring you joy and make you smile.
3. Always be honest with yourself and others: Honesty truly is the best policy. Not only with others but also with yourself. What have you been telling yourself (about your health, relationships, career, etc.)? Is it 100% true? For example, “I HATE MY JOB! But I’m stuck here because I have bills to pay…” That statement is totally NOT true! You have the power to change your situation if you want. It’s time to be honest about what you truly want and express yourself accordingly.
4. Listen to your gut feelings (that “inner voice”): Your instinct is there to guide and help you. Learn to tune into your inner thoughts and feelings.
5. Work towards your goals EVERY day: “It doesn’t matter how slow you go… as long as you don’t stop.” – Confucius. Do something EVERY day that moves you just a little bit further towards your goal. It will help you build momentum and propel you towards creating a life you love to live.
6. Focus on what YOU can control: And let go of the things you can’t.
7. Expect the best from life: What you think about is what you bring about… so start expecting great things to happen. No more of the, “oh, that’s just my luck” mindset when something goes wrong. Instead, think that bigger and better things are coming your way.
8. Spend time with the people who make you feel good: You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with, so choose wisely. Other people’s energy and vibes can influence how you think and feel. Therefore, choose people who radiate happiness and great health and share the joy with them.
9. Let go of the “things” that no longer serve you: Time to do an all-around life detox and get rid of the junk that is cluttering your life. From your personal possessions (clothes, household items) to your mental negative chatter, clean out and eliminate anything that is not contributing to your happy and healthy life.
10. Have an attitude of gratitude: There is always, always, always something to be grateful for, so take the time throughout the day to acknowledge your current blessings. Did you have breakfast this morning? Do you have access to clean water? Can you walk? Can you see? BE THANKFUL!
11. Be authentic and 100% YOU: Life just becomes so much more enjoyable when you conduct yourself from a place that represents who you truly are. Just. Be. YOU. Because YOU are awesome!
12. Lend a helping hand to others: Something magical happens when you feel the love and fulfillment from helping others to get what they want. Simple acts of kindness throughout the day will help you feel more connected to this beautiful earth and the community you live in.
13. Appreciate what you already have: It is so easy to get caught up in the consumerism that is our society today. New fancy cars, high tech gadgets, the latest trendy fashion… we are bombarded with advertisements and images all day. Yet, the truth is that you probably already have what you NEED. Take the time to be grateful for what is already in your life from your relationships to your personal possessions.
14. Be nice and love yourself: Take a nap. Soak in a hot bath tub. Take a walk in nature. Dress up for dinner. Buy yourself flowers. Show yourself love and affection and take care of your body – it’s the only place you have to live!
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS