11 Helpful Body Hacks To Fall Asleep Easily And Quickly
By Lindsay Sibson
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn. Ah, time to sleep.
You head to bed. You place that beautiful head of yours on the pillow. And… proceed to think about EVERYTHING.
You toss, you turn and you beg your brain to quiet down and fall asleep.
If you are one of the 50-70 million Americans that has trouble getting enough sleep, then check out these 13 hacks to help you improve your time between the sheets.
1. Squeeze & Release Method: Relax your muscles, calm your mind and lower your blood pressure by tensing and then relaxing your muscles while you are lying in bed. Squeeze each muscle region for 5 seconds and then release. Continue from your head to your toes until you feel the tension release.
2. 4-7-8 Breath Technique: Developed by Andrew Weil, this method helps you tap into calming your mind through your lungs. To do so: Breathe in 4 seconds, hold your breath for 7 seconds, slowly exhale for 8 seconds. I’ve personally used this method many nights and it is very effective! Watch this video to learn more.
3. Get MOVING: Exercise your body by walking, biking, stretching etc… Your body will rest much easier at night if you have USED it throughout the day. Try this 20 minute at home full body exercise routine to get your muscles working.
4. Relax With A Hot Shower: Manipulating your body’s core temperature will help your body wind down. Take a hot shower and then follow it up with the next tip.
5. Turn Down The Temperature: When your body temp drops, it induces sleepiness, because your body slows down its functions. Optimal sleeping temperatures are 65-72 degrees.
6. Rub Your Feet: Your feet are packed with reflexology points! Reflexology relaxes your mind and is great to utilize to get a good night’s sleep. Pay close attention to your big toe and give it a good rub. Follow these guidelines for your nightly foot massage.
7. Pop A Cherry: Feeding your body natural and nutritious foods is not only nourishing during waking hours, they also help your body get the rest and rejuvenation it needs. Cherries contain melatonin, which can help you get on a regular sleep schedule.
8. Consistency Is Key: Your circadian rhythm is your body’s 24 hour clock that responds to light and dark. Have a bedtime routine that consists of a calming activity, such as reading. Looking at electronic devices (tv, phone, computer) can mess up your rhythm due to the light exposure!
9. Nap Correctly: Late afternoon naps can either give you a needed boost OR can lead to problems falling asleep at night. If you need a rest, keep it to 20 minutes or less.
10. Massage THIS Spot: If headaches or stress is what is keeping you up at night, massage your supraorbital nerve block located in the middle of your eyebrow. This action will relax your mind and release tension and pressure.
11. Purge Your Mind: Get your thoughts and frustrations out by journaling your feelings each night before you go to sleep. Empty your mind of your worries. Make a “To-DO” list to plan for the next day. ANYTHING that is bouncing around in your mind should be acknowledged and “dealt with” before you go to sleep. Also, don’t forget to acknowledge what you are thankful for!
Explore and implement each of these body hacks to discover what works for you. Feel free to share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS