11 Foods to Add to Your Grocery Basket for a Spring Detox
By Amanda Wilson
Time for spring cleaning! And I’m not talking about that ring around your bathtub or the hall closet stuffed with bellbottoms and beanie babies. I’m talking about spring cleaning your loyal, yet exhausted organs! They’ve worked hard for you this winter. You only have one body to live in, so it’s important you take good care of it!
Eating “seasonally” is a hot trend right now – and rightfully so! Traditionally, cultures all around the world have practiced seasonal cleansing in all types of different ways. Spring is the time for growth and renewal and your body is working to energize itself for the busy months ahead.
Detoxing the liver during spring is as ideal as the whole detoxification and fat burning process (yes, fat burning, so you can rock that bikini at the beach this summer!). Spring is the perfect time to get rid of the toxins in your body and gain some rejuvenation after those long winter months of hibernating, eating and drinking.
During the spring, the body craves foods that are refreshing and create a feeling of “lightness.” For you super busy folks, this is the ideal time for you, as most summer foods are best eaten raw (Translation: No excuses… It’s quicker and MUCH healthier to throw together a salad than it is to go through the drive thru)!
Here are 11 foods to toss into your grocery basket this spring to detox those lingering holiday pounds and pesky toxins!
1. Artichoke – This veggie helps to influence the production of bile and fat-digesting enzymes, which stimulate liver function. These guys also have a chemical that helps with sugar cravings, so eat up!
2. Asparagus – Contains an amino acid that prevents fluid retention so you can rock your 6-pack at that Memorial Day BBQ.
3. Avocado – High in fiber for improved digestion, this healthy fat fruit also promotes blood sugar regulation for weight management.
4. Cabbage – Increases liver enzymes and flushes carcinogens. I love to add some shredded red cabbage to my salads for a pop of color and crunch!
5. Cucumber – Decreases water retention and bloating. Cucumber is a much healthier choice for dipping into salsa or guacamole than chips. It’s also great used as a base for smoothies and juices due to it’s high water content.
6. Garlic – Activates liver enzymes flushing toxins. Garlic also inhibits the same enzyme that statins do, without the nasty side effects.
7. Lemons – Lemon water is a powerful liver detoxifier and contains more than twenty anti-cancer compounds. Squeeze some lemon juice on your fish or salads for a little pizazz.
8. Parsley – Assists in rejuvenating the liver by cleansing this vital organ of toxins. Parsley is also a blood purifier and helps kill bacteria in the body.
9. Radishes – For a little guy, the radish packs a BIG nutritional punch! High in free radical fighting properties, Vitamin C and other strong liver detoxifiers (catching onto the liver detox them here?), this is a great addition to your healthy diet.
10. Spinach – There’s a reason Popeye had big muscles AND always got the girl. This green superfood is high in iron and lipoic acid for increased energy and blood sugar stabilization.
11. Turmeric – In Ayurvedic medicine, turmeric is considered a “cleanser of the body.” Turmeric, which contains a powerful antioxidant called curcumin, has an abundant list of healing properties including anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer and immune boosting.
It’s best to consume these in their raw, organic form. A spring cleanse will help get rid of the toxic waste that has built up in your organs and cells that keep them from doing their job properly. As the snow melts, spring cleaning can help you shed weight, feel and look younger, improve digestion and increase your energy.
Here’s a simple spring detox salad including some of these foods:
Are you interested in spring cleaning with the support of a like-minded community under the loving care and guidance of a Super Fabulous Certified Holistic Health Coach? No dieting or deprivation! The fun starts soon! Sign up now to take advantage of the early-bird bonus and discount!
Simple Spring Detox Salad
- 2 cups spinach
- ½ cup red onions, sliced thin
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup artichokes (BPA free can, in water)
- ¼ cup radish, sliced thin
- Handful chopped parsley
- 1 avocado, cubed
- Juice from one lemon
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup of sunflower seeds
- Chop vegetables and mix in a large bowl.
- Top salad with avocado and sunflower seeds.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
Amanda Wilson transformed her life and is on a mission to help others do the same.At the age of 40, where so many women begin to see and feel their health diminishing, she reclaimed her health and found her best self. Because of her experiences with poor health, she became obsessed with good health and healing, ultimately becoming her passion.
Amanda now lives an abundant and healthy life with her handsome fireman fiance in Southern California. She enjoys anything outdoors, especially hiking, running, biking, and stair climbing.
Latest posts by Amanda Wilson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS