10 Signs Someone Is Emotionally Dependent And Not Actually In Love
Is It Love Or Emotional Dependence?
How do you know when you are in love?
All of us have asked this question at some point in our lives. “You will know,” we’ve all been told.
I bet you can relate. When you finally fall in love for the first time, you begin to understand what they meant. You know it, it’s love.
But is it really?
Love can be easily confused with lust and affection. Love, a true loving connection, can also be confused with emotional dependence, where you are relying on it for self-worth, acceptance, satisfaction and validation, instead of having a healthy loving relationship.
Here are 10 signs your love may not be love afterall:
- You experience extreme jealousy when your partner spends time with anyone else but you. You can’t trust them and you believe their world has to revolve around you.
- You and your partner have stopped doing your own things. You don’t engage in activities that you used to do alone. You may have even removed yourself from other relationships that used to be important in your life.
- You can’t trust. You are possessive. You worry that your partner is going to leave you.
- You say no to plans and invites to spend time with your partner instead.
- Your partner’s validation is everything to you. It means more than your own validation.
- You care about appearances more than true feelings inside and behind the scenes. Facebook posts and appearing as a perfect couple in front of others matter to you the most.
- You truly believe that you can change your partner to create the perfect person you’ve always wanted to be with.
- You keep distance when your partner upsets you. Silent treatment and other forms of punishments are your tools to practice the control you enjoy having.
- You can’t even imagine life without your partner. If they died, left, or even went on a trip, you don’t think you could recover.
- Most of your self-worth depends on and comes from your partner’s approval, affection and attention.
Have you recognized any of these signs in your current or past relationships? How do you make sure that you are creating a true loving partnership instead of an emotionally dependent one? Share your experiences in the comments below.
And remember, we’re in this together.
Kat Gál is a professional holistic health writer who helps health, wellness and nutrition businesses to market their products and services through quality online content. Kat is a multi-passionate writer, world traveler, nomad, runner, and cat-person.Reach out if you are looking for amazing blog content at email@example.com or katgalwriter.com. Check out my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/katgalwriter. and nobsfreelancer.com for freelance writing tips.
Latest posts by Kat Gal (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS