10 Benefits Of Kissing: Backed By Chemistry
Written by: Kat Gal
My first kiss with my husband – then boyfriend – was much anticipated on a winter day over 8 years ago. Needless to say, many kisses have followed since.
Our first as husband and wife was to seal our love and our commitment to each other. We have a picture, but the memory in our hearts is what keeps it safe forever.
Our last kiss was a sweet, loving exchange maybe an hour ago while cleaning up the dishes together after dinner.
Our next kiss is still a mystery, but I am sure I won’t have to wait too long.
Kissing is a beautiful and enjoyable exchange between two people. It is a measure of your feelings, an expression of your love, attraction and passion for each other. Kissing is not only loving, fun and exciting, but it is also a powerful mood booster, helping your self-esteem and confidence skyrocket.
The release of oxytocin peptides and serotonin in your body can make you feel high on life – or shall we say, high on love.
Kissing really is one of the most powerful natural drugs out there. Here are 10 magical benefits of kissing and why it feels so amazing.
1. Kissing is a physical pain reliever. When you feel good, you feel less pain. But there is science behind this. Kissing increases your body’s threshold for pain-receptor activation and also helps the release of endorphins from your brain. Endorphins are pain-relieving happy hormones; they hinder pain pathways, thus providing you with instant pain relief.
Kissing may be beneficial for those who suffer from chronic pain due to autoimmune disorders or malignant cancer. From personal experience, I can say that kissing has helped me decrease headache pain.
2. Kissing may lower your blood pressure. When you are kissing, your blood vessels dilate and may cause a decrease in blood pressure, providing pain relief and lowering stress levels. If you are dealing with hypertension or if it runs in your family, more kissing is on your personal prescription.
3. Kissing can improve your heart health. Kissing not only expresses your loving feelings coming from your heart, but may also cause a decrease in the sympathetic tone of it. As a result, it reduces physical and psychological stress that may lead to heart issues.
4. Kissing can boost your immunity and help with your allergies. Kissing doesn’t only keep you active, but also increases the activity of your immune cells to fight germs through the production of IgA antibodies. Kissing can lower IgE antibodies, therefore lowering the release of histamine from mast cells that are the reason for your allergic reactions.
5. Kissing improves oral hygiene. By boosting salivation, kissing leads to the release of enzymes that clean up plaque that could otherwise lead to cavities and decay in the future. If you keep on kissing (and brushing your teeth, of course!), your dentist will be proud.
6. Kissing improves your mood and decreases your stress levels. When you are kissing, your brain feels like it’s on some good drugs as a result of the release of dopamine and serotonin, your brain’s favorite mood elevating hormones.
Kissing releases oxytocin and endorphins as well. Oxytocin can increase the romantic bond between you and your kissing mate, while endorphins can calm you down. Furthermore, adrenaline (a stress hormone) production will decrease, making you feel even more calm. No wonder kissing can make you feel so good, loved, happy and confident.
7. Kissing may relieve menstrual cramps. Ladies, this one is for us. Remember your endorphins? They inhibit pain. Because kissing releases endorphins and also leads to blood vessel dilation, your cramps can lighten up. Now you have science to back you up when you need some extra gentle loving during that time of the month.
8. Kissing may relieve migraines and headaches. As I have shared in point #1, it works. Because your blood vessels dilate and all the happy hormones (dopamine, serotonin and endorphins) are being released during kissing, your headaches may decrease or even disappear. No more tylenol, sumatriptans, or other drugs: all you need is a good old kissing session.
9. Kissing can improve the tone of your facial muscles. Kissing involves all of your 34 facial and 112 postural muscles. It is kind of like a facial workout that can increase the tone of your muscles, leading to more effective communication through showing the right facial expression in every situation. Kissing may help you tone your neck and could relieve facial palsy as well.
10. Kissing burns calories. I told you, it’s a workout – and no gym membership is needed either. A passionate kiss that lasts for at least 20 seconds can burn 2-3 calories per minute. Let’s not obsess on math, but you can be sure that a nice long kissing session can help you burn some of that raw brownie off that you are munching on (wait, I am munching on some raw brownies… hmm, I may need some kissing…).
It seems like kissing may just be one of the healthiest activities for all. What are you waiting for? Go find the love of your life and start kissing!
What if you haven’t found your significant other yet, are taking a break from the dating game for now or are too old for spin-the-bottle? For one, you can NEVER be too old for spin-the-bottle. Second, even loving and friendly kisses on the cheek can lead to amazing health benefits, helping you feel good in mind, body and soul. Find a friend or a family member and give them a big kiss.
If you are still not up for kissing, hugging is also a beautiful energy exchange of love and care.
Hugging has some powerful health benefits as well:
1. Hugging may lower your heart rate.
2. It may reduce stress, anxiety, anger and fear by stimulating oxytocin.
3. It may lower depression and increases happiness through the release of dopamine.
4. It may decrease loneliness and depression through the release of serotonin.
5. It may increase your immune system.
6. It may boost your self-esteem and self-confidence.
7. It may reduce your mortality.
Kissing or hugging: you can never have too much of it.
If you are looking for ways to express your love in other ways besides just kisses and hugs, read this amazing list and also visit our Organifi shop to get our Organifi Green Juice Powder and Biotic Balance Probiotic to help keep you, your love and even your gut energized and healthy.
Happy kissing! And don’t forget to share your first, your last, or your most memorable kissing experiences with us (keep it PG though). Share your comments below!
source source source source source source
Kat Gál is a multi-passionate writer, world traveler, nomad, runner, and cat-person. She is a lifelong learner who lives outside of her comfort zones stretching her boundaries and discovering beauty around the world. She is a Certified Holistic Health and Life Coach who encourages others to embrace their unique authentic selves, follow their heart and find their own version of freedom in life.
Latest posts by Kat Gal (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS