1 Day Mini Detox
Written By: Shannon Lagasse
There is so much talk about New Years Resolutions right now, which means that your to-do list is probably growing faster than you can keep up with: lose weight; hire a babysitter; eat healthier… and so it goes. But change can seem really overwhelming, especially if you don’t know where to start.
I want you to remember something before you begin on this journey:
Real, lasting change happens when you take small, actionable steps in a new direction.
You see, you don’t have to change everything at once, you just need to choose ONE thing and commit to it, then take action. Pretty soon, you’ll be accomplishing small victories and have the time and confidence to add new things as you see fit. It’s about progress, so be sure to give yourself credit for the positive upgrades you make along the way.
This 1-Day Mini Detox was created just for you. Use whatever you feel will work best for you, and know that you don’t need to do everything outlined in order to reap some amazing benefits. Your first step is to pick a day where you don’t have much going on where you can devote the entire day to your own relaxation and self-care. If you have kiddos, maybe they want to get involved too! While sitting still can prove challenging for the little ones – maybe even for you – do your best and honor the space you’re in without judgement. Each person’s’ experience will be unique, and that’s perfectly okay!
WHEN YOU WAKE UP:
- Cranberry elixir – Start your morning off right by flushing your kidneys and alkalizing your body with this yummy elixir. Mix 2 tbsp unsweetened pure cranberry juice (not from concentrate) with 1 quart water, plus the juice of 1 lemon or 1 lime and a dropper full of liquid stevia.
- Water – You always want to start out your mornings with at least a quart of water to flush toxins out of your body and refresh.
- Probiotics – These are essential to a healthy gut, digestive system and immune system. Take your probiotics first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Just like vitamins, these are most effective when used regularly (daily).
- Unplug – Make it your resolution for the day to unplug – from the computer, the phone, the TV and all other electronic devices. Try to just be present with what’s in your immediate environment and what’s going on inside your own body.
- Set an intention for the day – Before you get started with your day, set an intention for how you’d like the day to go. This will help you to more consciously create your daily experience. “Today I will be present in my body and experiences. I will support my beautiful body and give thanks for all it does for me each day.”
- Drink a green smoothie – Not only is this a deliciously simple breakfast, but you’re packing a blender full of nutrients into one glass. A good rule of thumb when creating smoothies is to start with a liquid base, such as water, coconut water, or a dairy-free milk, then add a handful of greens (spinach, Swiss chard, and lettuce blend really well) and some fruit (try combos such as blueberry-peach, strawberry-banana, or pineapple-mango). Aim for a 4:1 or 3:1 ratio – veggies to fruit.
- Dry skin brush – Before your shower, use a dry skin brush to remove dead skin cells and stimulate your lymphatic system. Start by brushing at your food, sweeping upwards in a circular motion towards the heart. This not only helps to get rid of dry, flaky skin, but it also increases circulation and aids in the elimination of toxins from your body.
- Tongue scraping – Buy a tongue scraper from your local drugstore or use a spoon to scrape the film off your tongue. This is a simple, easy way to remove toxins from your body.
- Eat a healthy lunch – This should be your biggest meal of the day, as this is when your digestive fire is at its peak. Try this hearty quinoa and asparagus risotto, along with a side salad to fuel your body for the second half of your day of detox.
QUINOA & ASPARAGUS RISOTTO
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 cup asparagus, chopped
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- pinch of cayenne
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- sea salt, to taste
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions.
- Once cooked, start adding coconut milk to cooked quinoa. Add ¼ cup at a time, stirring until the quinoa soaks it all up (you may not need the full cup).
- Meanwhile, steam your asparagus and red pepper. When those are tender, add them to the quinoa and coconut milk.
- Stir in juice of lemon, thyme, cayenne, and salt.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Workout and stretching – Moving your body is a great way to detoxify, boost your mood and increase your energy. Stretch a little before and after your workout to limber up and help those muscles loosen up a bit.
- Meditation – Did you know that stress is one of the biggest toxins to your body? Decrease your stress by sitting quietly and spending some time following your breath by paying attention to every inhalation and exhalation.
- Read and relax – Reading is a nice, quiet activity you can do to replenish your energy stores. However, do something that lights YOU up!
- Eat a healthy, light dinner – Because you’re eating closer to bedtime, you want to eat a light meal to give your digestive system a break, that way your body can be rejuvenating while you sleep at night. Try mixing spinach, walnuts, sliced strawberries and sliced red onion with a balsamic vinaigrette for a tasty meal.
- Journal – Unwind at the end of the day by writing your thoughts down on paper. The process of writing in a journal helps to release whatever emotions are still stored up, as well as lay your thoughts to rest before falling asleep.
- Detox bath – Soak in a detox-friendly bath by adding ½ cup apple cider vinegar, ¼ cup baking soda, 1 cup Epsom salts, and a few drops of lavender essential oil to your tub.
- Gratitude journal – End your evening by reflecting on the things that you’re grateful. Not only does this put you in a good mood and attract more good things to you, but it’ll also help you have sweeter dreams.
Taking a day to yourself can seem like a lot, especially if you’ve got a busy life with a career, kids, spouse, a house to clean and all the other things that tend to keep us from focusing on our personal care needs. But filling up your cup first makes it so much easier to cross all those other to-do’s off your list and maintain presence for those you love.
What will you do during your one-day detox? Share your experience in the comments below!
Shannon Lagasse is a Certified Holistic Health Coach and Emotional Eating Expert. She helps women struggling with emotional eating and yo-yo dieting to ditch the diet, love their body and lose weight in a healthy way. With a focus on pleasure and getting to the heart of their issues, Shannon's clients are empowered to find freedom from food fears and live a fantastically awesome life.
To learn more about working with Shannon and to receive her free weekly coaching on healthy and happy ways to get the body and life you want, visit her website.
Latest posts by Shannon Lagasse (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS